Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"Non-PC" patches - Polish forces in Afghanistan

Article about: KradSpam, Ive seen that one with 'Somali Pirates' text substituted IIRC. Seems to be an ongoing (and popular) theme no matter the conflict.

Default "Non-PC" patches - Polish forces in Afghanistan

Viewer discretion required

Came across these unofficial patches being worn by some Polish forces serving in Afghanistan.

Gazeta Wyborcza : Diabeł na mundurze dla szpanu

Similar patches were apparently worn by troops in Iraq. The patches are available in the Polish base in Ghazni, Afghanistan bought from local shop-keepers and a cost couple of dollars each. I have a feeling these will or maybe are already modern militaria collectibles.

I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

We sometimes forget about Vietnam - these sort of patches seemed to have their genesis in that conflict.

Also VERY inappropriate in today's "genteel society".
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture "Non-PC" patches - Polish forces in Afghanistan   "Non-PC" patches - Polish forces in Afghanistan  

Attached Images Attached Images "Non-PC" patches - Polish forces in Afghanistan  "Non-PC" patches - Polish forces in Afghanistan  "Non-PC" patches - Polish forces in Afghanistan  "Non-PC" patches - Polish forces in Afghanistan 
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

My son has a few simiar ones from his BRITISH army tours of Iraq and Afghan. If I can get hime to dig them out, I'll post some pics.
    He also has a couple of T-shirts with similar motifs on them!

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Quote by Danmark View Post
    We sometimes forget about Vietnam - these sort of patches seemed to have their genesis in that conflict.

Also VERY inappropriate in today's "genteel society".
    Great stuff!! Thanks for posting.....all new to me.

Quote by jimpy View Post
    My son has a few simiar ones from his BRITISH army tours of Iraq and Afghan. If I can get hime to dig them out, I'll post some pics.
    He also has a couple of T-shirts with similar motifs on them!

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy
    I would very much like to see them also

?

Here is my variation of the first patch in the OP.
    Bought in a 'PX' i Kabul.
    The variations of this one is legion - there are many variations of this one just with different center motif - the wording in a circle is the same. A simple web search will turn up several for those interested.
    I chose the Taz - seemed funny at the time. Primarily because he expressed my feelings well, LOL.
    I seem to remember a Wile E. Coyote motif as well.
    Never seen the less PC ones before. They were not present in any of the places I went neither in Kabul nor in Kandahar.
    The ones I saw, were all pretty much PC.
    Some of those shown in the OP is not exactly, what I would call 'culture sensitive' and I'm pretty sure, that we would not have been allowed to wear them. Not that it would enter my mind to do so, I must admit.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture "Non-PC" patches - Polish forces in Afghanistan  

Get em while you can cause I imagine these will become quite collectible as 4thSkorpion said and will thus be faked, as the Vietnam ones have been.

?

In regards to PC - The patches reminded me of some dated pics.
    In Astan His Harryness was boarding a plane for the UK in a 'news' segment.
    I noted the patch on his body armour having seen the same patch in shops in Astan.
    It looks like the Tommy Hilfiger logo, but in reality the patch says 'Taliban Hill Fighter' in a crude attempt of humour.
    I noted than upon arrival in the UK, the patch was missing.
    What seemed like a good idea in Astan when one is emerged in the life of soldier lingo, behaviour et al, might not seem very PC on the tarmac in front of news reporters in the UK.
    Obviously Harry or some PR dogsboddy thought it prudent to remove the 'Hillfighter' patch prior to walking down the steps from the plane.
    I noted it, but it seemed to have flown under the radar as most wont know the significance of the patch anyway (plus its not that big of a deal...., though UK tabloids like to latch on to the tiniest infraction at times it seems).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture "Non-PC" patches - Polish forces in Afghanistan   "Non-PC" patches - Polish forces in Afghanistan  

Attached Images Attached Images "Non-PC" patches - Polish forces in Afghanistan 

The Polish article also mentions "''Afghan Hunting Association'' which I assume is a variation on a theme as I found this one online:

?

Interesting thread.

I seem to remember variations on the theme in regards to some Vietnam patches with the wording 'Hunting Club'-something on them.
    Whether or not they are genuine, I cant say.

As for Vietnam a slight tangent, if you allow (if not - delete them with extreme prejudice ;-) )

I happen to like the more recent patch below (the 'Vet' one).

The second one also stuck in my mind for some reason. That one might be semi-period at that (the Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club one. Very distinctive design).
    Attached Images Attached Images "Non-PC" patches - Polish forces in Afghanistan  "Non-PC" patches - Polish forces in Afghanistan 

These are a bit cheeky too Also available on a mug or patch, if you want one let me know

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast