Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Survivor of the Winter War

Article about: This photo probably is nothing special to someone else, but it's honestly one of the favorites that I own. The photograph was taken only one month after the end of the Winter War and I wonde

Default Survivor of the Winter War

This photo probably is nothing special to someone else, but it's honestly one of the favorites that I own. The photograph was taken only one month after the end of the Winter War and I wonder what he went trough in that hell.

April 24, 1940
    City of Pskov, upon returning from the Finnish front
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Survivor of the Winter War  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Survivor of the Winter War
    P
    Many

An excellent photograph, Aleks.

Other than a good image, it is special by the way: it's one of the very early images with 'shapka-ushanka' hat introduced in Red Army right after the Winter War.

I've got an impression his 'shapka' is actually Finnish made.

Any writings on the backside?

Quote by Mehti Safarov View Post
    An excellent photograph, Aleks.

Other than a good image, it is special by the way: it's one of the very early images with 'shapka-ushanka' hat introduced in Red Army right after the Winter War.

I've got an impression his 'shapka' is actually Finnish made.

Any writings on the backside?
    Thank you!

Now that you mention it, I believe that the shapka is Finnish too. The Finnish ones had more of a 'curly' look to them.

Text on the back:

April 24, 1940
    City of Pskov, upon returning from the Finnish front

Just checked re ''shapka-ushanka"s formal introduction and it appears to be July 1940.

Since the photo is dated April 24, 1940 this means the guy wears unconventional piece of uniform which was very likely taken as a trophy.

As you know such photographs are always considered valuable, so it is special, congrats, Aleks.

By the way, believe you'll find it useful
    ???????????

Thank you!

I have seen some ushankas from the Winter War, but I think they were extremely scarce and maybe unofficial pieces? I really love the photo and I wouldn't give it up for anything. I think it is indeed Finnish like you said, as there is the "curly" look to it and the front part in Finnish ushankas was more oval than the Russian rectangle ones. Extremely interesting and thank you for shedding more light to this and thanks for the link!