Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1942 German Alpine Club ID Card

Article about: Hi Guys, I recently purchased this D.A.V ID card dated 1942 with an ID photo of the 'off duty' soldier,(going by his Wehrmacht Off-Duty Stick Pin in the left lapel). From what I have read th

Default 1942 German Alpine Club ID Card

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased this D.A.V ID card dated 1942 with an ID photo of the 'off duty' soldier,(going by his Wehrmacht Off-Duty Stick Pin in the left lapel).
    From what I have read these little pins were only worn with civilian wear when off duty.
    I guess 'August' would take some well earned leave in a cosy alpine cabin and try and forget horrors of war for a time!
    Not much is to be found about these ID cards and I suppose they are a little bit of a side line in the scheme of things, but I find it interesting and wish to find more information about this 'handsome' young soldier and his mates on leave in the mountains during the war.
    If anyone has some anything relating to this I would be very interested to hear as it provides a background perspective to the German soldiers life away from the front line.

1942 German Alpine Club ID Card 1942 German Alpine Club ID Card

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1942 German Alpine Club ID Card
    P
    Many

Very interesting document, I have never seen one before, thank you for sharing it will us.

I found a casualty card for a man with the same name from München (Munich), so there is a chance it could be him.

He was part of 1./Leichte Sturmgeschütz Abteilung 911 and died in 1943. His cause of death is listed as Unfall - Minen explosion verstorben (Accident - Mine explosion died of wounds).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1942 German Alpine Club ID Card  

Thank you so much for your reply Willmore.
    It could quite possibly be the same 'August Sexauer' as you say! What are the chances of you having that casualty card and reading my post!!
    Thank you also for your detailed information about the card as that all adds to interest of this story. I guess we will never know for sure if it is the same fellow, but looking at the photo he appears to be around the correct age.

No problem Mikhale.

It’s just a shame the Alpine ID doesn’t have a date of birth written on it, because we would be able to say wether or not it is him 100%. With so many things in our hobby (like you say) we will never know for sure.

Thanks again for sharing it too.

Yes Willmore, a date of birth would have been very helpful!

I've been doing a little research since you kindly provided a photo of the Casualty Card and have made an interesting find.
    In a book called 'GHOST DIVISION' by A.Harding Ganz on page 159 it recalls an incident that occurred on the 14 April 1943 -

"Ever since arriving near Kharkov in the spring, Stu.Geschtz.Abt.911 had been training to support the infantry with Pz.Gren. Rgt 110 and 111. Wilhelm's Stu.Geschtz.Abt.911's initial association with the 11 Pz.Div. was marred by a terrible training accident on 14 April. In an engineer Lerhgang, (training course), in Resunenkovo for personel of the Pz.Rgt.15 and Stu.G.A.911 a wood-encased Teller Mine exploded. 25 were killed, including 13 Sturmartilleristen from the assault gun battalion and 14 were wounded."

I guess that explains the 'accident' on the Casualty Card.

Great research!

I had a look and found casualty cards for some of the other men killed in the incident (including another casualty card for August).

Kurt Wilhelm Beigel - 1 Batterie leichte Sturmgeschütz Abteilung 911

Heinrich Johann Gerlach - 3 Batterie leichte Sturmgeschütz Abteilung 911

Georg Makiolla - 3 Batterie leichte Sturmgeschütz Abteilung 911

Wilhelm Dubsch - Stabs Batterie leichte Sturmgeschütz Abteilung 911

This website shows list of loses (including those from the accident).
    Verlustliste der Sturmgeschütz-Brigade 911
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1942 German Alpine Club ID Card   1942 German Alpine Club ID Card  

1942 German Alpine Club ID Card   1942 German Alpine Club ID Card  

1942 German Alpine Club ID Card  

Great work Willmore!!

I wonder what else can be unearthed about August and his unfortunate comrades?