Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

40 Feldpost letters from Vienna to Stalingrad 1941 - November 1942.

Article about: I´m currently on summer holiday so I think I can find the time to decipher a set of Feldpostletters again. This lot of 40 letters covers part of the war trail of Gefreiter Adam Kopp who acc

Jan
    ?

Default 40 Feldpost letters from Vienna to Stalingrad 1941 - November 1942.

I´m currently on summer holiday so I think I can find the time to decipher a set of Feldpostletters again.

This lot of 40 letters covers part of the war trail of Gefreiter Adam Kopp who according to the Feldpostnr. fought in Radfahr-Abteilung 100 which was the reconnaisance unit of the 100. Jäger Division.

If the information I got from from the seller is correct Adam was born on 08.01.1921 and went missing/died from starvation (verhungert) in Stalingrad 01.01.1943. Part of this information probably comes from the Volksbund Archives so I hope I can get that confirmed by a death card.

The text is very tidy so I´m confident I can decipher the content on a one letter/day basis.

Best, Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 40 Feldpost letters from Vienna to Stalingrad 1941 - November 1942.   40 Feldpost letters from Vienna to Stalingrad 1941 - November 1942.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 40 Feldpost letters from Vienna to Stalingrad 1941 - November 1942.
    P
    Many

Hi Jan.

I have looked for a casualty card but unfortunately I couldn't find one.

I have seen a lot of death/missing dates for soldiers who fell at Stalingrad recorded as 01.01.1943 and assume that it is because nobody actually knows their actually death date.

Here is his Volksbund entry -

Name: Adam Kopp
    Date of birth: 08.01.1921
    Place of birth -
    Death/missing date: 01.01.1943
    Death/missing place@ Stadt Stalingrad
    Service rank -

According to the information available to us, Adam Kopp is missing.

Adam Kopp | Grabersuche-Online

Kind regards,

Will.

?

I also came up empty in the search for Adam Kopp’s casualty card. The lastest dated casualty cards from the Abteilung I found were on December 29th. There is decent info to be found on these ones. After that the cards only say fallen aufgang Jan 1943 at Stalingrad. No causes of death or burial locations listed.
    I did find a trace of him through another route which should be of use to you. The photo of him should bring more life to his story and his lost struggle at Stalingrad.

From the missing list of 1. Schwadron/ Aufklärungs-Abteilung 100 (vorher Radfahr-Abteilung 100)

Adam was a car mechanic before the war. A Westphalian from Neurath outside Grevenbroich.

Regards, Ben

TWS
    ?

Quote by Willmore View Post

I have seen a lot of death/missing dates for soldiers who fell at Stalingrad recorded as 01.01.1943 and assume that it is because nobody actually knows their actually death date.

Will.
    Will's input is completely in line with my own research experience.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Jan
    ?

Thank you so much for your kind help guys.

A special thanks to you Ben for finding the photo of Adam (during happier times) as well as the additional information. It definitevely adds to the story when you are able to put a face on items like Feldpost letters.

Best, Jan