Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Admiral of the Kriegsmarine Kurt Fricke - Signed portrait photo to Kapitän zur See Gerhard Wagner

Article about: Hi guys, I only have a small collection of period signed photos from high ranking or otherwise historically interesting German officers. I realize originality isn´t always easy to verify on

Jan
    ?

Default Admiral of the Kriegsmarine Kurt Fricke - Signed portrait photo to Kapitän zur See Gerhard Wagner

Hi guys,

I only have a small collection of period signed photos from high ranking or otherwise historically interesting German officers. I realize originality isn´t always easy to verify on items like these but I took a chance on this large portrait photo which now in hand looks very convincing. The text reads something like this (I would appreciate some help here):

"Herrn Kapitän zur See Wagner
    In dankbaren Erinnerung an die Gemeinsamme Arbeit
    und in Kamerad-
    schaftlichen ... (?)

K. Fricke
    Admiral
    ... ... ... (?)

If real, the text on the photo was written and signed by Knights Cross winner Admiral Kurt Fricke (1889 – 1945) and presented to Kapitän zur See Gerhard Wagner on February 20th 1943.

Kurt Fricke was killed on May 2nd 1945 during the Battle of Berlin but I have not been able to find any more information around the circumstances of his death other than the date and place of death.

The recipient Gerhard Wagner (1898 – 1987) was present as a signatory to the surrender of the German forces in northern Germany at Lüneburg Heath on 4 May 1945 to the British Commander-in-Chief General Bernard Montgomery. One year later on the 13th and 14th of May 1946 Wagner gave testimony at the Nuremberg Trials.

What do you guys think and have I got the facts about the two officers correct?

Best,

Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Admiral of the Kriegsmarine Kurt Fricke - Signed portrait photo to Kapitän zur See Gerhard Wagner  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Admiral of the Kriegsmarine Kurt Fricke - Signed portrait photo to Kapitän zur See Gerhard Wagner
    P
    Many

Hello, I am no expert on signatures, but Fricke's signature looks genuine when compared with other examples I saw.

Regarding the photo itself, it would help if you could photograph the other side. At first glance it looks ok. If you have an UV light lamp you could check it under the light. If it doesn't glow then it's very likely a period original.

You got the facts about Fricke and Wagner right. It's very safe to assume the KzS Wagner mentioned is indeed Gerhard Wagner. The other high naval officer Heinrich Wagner was already a Konteradmiral since 1942.

The exact circumstances of Fricke's death in Berlin on 2 May 1945 are still unknown to this day. His death notice only says the following: "Last message from 2.5.1945 at Berlin-Charlottenburg, on the same day Fricke joined an armoured convoy heading west, since then no news at all." Surely he was killed by the Russians that day during the breakout he joined.

Regards,

Karlo

Jan
    ?

Thank you so much for your kind reply Karlo. The paper doesnt "glow" so thats definitely a good sign. Sadly the photo i fixed to the passe-partout but I will also take a closer look at that and send some close-ups. The picture seems to have been removed from a picture frame quite a while ago.

A big thanks about the information about his last day or hours, I really appreciate it.

Best,

Jan
    Attached Images Attached Images Admiral of the Kriegsmarine Kurt Fricke - Signed portrait photo to Kapitän zur See Gerhard Wagner