Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Another Feldpost Number to identify.

Article about: I've recently acquired another Felpost cover for my collection and wonder if any of you can identify the unit for me and it's location in August 1942. Number: 07621 Thanks in anticipation. J

?

Default Another Feldpost Number to identify.

I've recently acquired another Felpost cover for my collection and wonder if any of you can identify the unit for me and it's location in August 1942.

Number: 07621

Thanks in anticipation.

John

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Another Feldpost Number to identify.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Another Feldpost Number to identify.

(Mobilmachung-1.1.1940) 4. Batterie Flak-Regiment 36,

(1.2.1941-11.7.1941) 4. Batterie Flak-Regiment 9.

That is all I have right now. Hopefully others can help
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

I. Flak-Regiment 9

dazugehörige Fp-Nr. 12344 (Stab) 12835 (1. Battr.) 12895 (2. Battr.) 13132 (3. Battr.) 07621 (4. Battr.) 13468 (4. Battr.) 13552 (5. Battr.)

Entstanden am 15.11.38 in Fürth aus I. / Flak-Regiment 8 mit 5 Batterien , Einsatz 111938 -8/1939 Luftgau XIII, 9/1939-6/1941Berlin, 06/1941-11/1942 Russland Koluft 6. Armee Flak-Rgt. 91, 12/1942 Stalingrad 9. Flak-Div, Flak-Rgt. 91 (vernichtet), Neuaufstellung 5/1943 Friedrichshafen

Hope that's right. I don't have any references for German Feldpost numbers, but that came up when I put Feldpostnummer 07621 into Google.

It would be 4th Battery of the I Battalion of 9th Flak Regiment. In Aug 42 they were in Russia.

Rob

Just to add a little more info,

In August of 1942 they were pushing their way to Stalingrad from Kharkov. Here is the rough Google translation of a section of the 'Lexicon der Wehrmacht' entry for Flak-Regiment 9, which covers their whereabouts in August of 1942.

"On 7 August 1942, she attended a foray of the XIV Panzer Corps participate in the steppe, from 14 August 1942, she placed the protection of the 76th and 295 Infantry Division. On 21 August 1942 she took part in the battle to force the way to Stalingrad in the Don bridgehead on 24 August 1942, she was at the 76th Infantry Division at Rossoshka used. On 27 August, the third Battery in the capture of Kalach by the 71th Infantry Division in part. From 29 August was the department at the 295th Infantry Division used in ground combat, the 3rd Battery on 12 September at the 71st Infantry Division at Tartarenwall."

Also of note is the fact that the unit was destroyed at Stalingrad by the end of the year.

?

Thanks for this Stinschen and Rob.
    I found that reference when I Googled it as well Rob, but I don't read German and couldn't decypher the response. Am I reading it right that the unit was in Russia, part of the 6th Army from June 1941 to November 1942, then Stalingrad in December 1942, just in time for Operation Uranus.
    From what I've managed to find out about the German Armies in the East, the Koluft was the organisation that enabled units of the Heer to work in cooperation with the Luftwaffe. So does that mean this unit would have been used to defend Luftwaffe air fields during Operation Barbarossa?
    If so, can anyone tell me where this unit was based in Russia?
    Would it have been in the Don region, near Stalingrad, as part of von Paulus's drive to Stalingrad.
    Sorry if this sounds naive, but I've never dug into the history of the Russian front before.
    Regards
    John

?

Thanks ObKrieger
    I posted my last questions before I read your post. All my questions answered, except for the clarification on the Koluft.
    Many thanks
    John

?

Try this link as it's in English although not much info on it !!

Axis History Factbook: 9. Flak-Division
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by johnoz View Post
    I found that reference when I Googled it as well Rob, but I don't read German and couldn't decypher the response. Am I reading it right that the unit was in Russia, part of the 6th Army from June 1941 to November 1942, then Stalingrad in December 1942, just in time for Operation Uranus.
    Yes, pretty much. It says "06/1941-11/1942 Russland Koluft 6. Armee Flak-Rgt. 91, 12/1942 Stalingrad 9. Flak-Div, Flak-Rgt. 91 (vernichtet)", which means "Jun 41-Nov 42 Russia Air Force Commander 6th Army Flak-Regt 91, Dec 42 Stalingrad 9th Flak Division, Flak Regiment 91 (destroyed)"

From what I've managed to find out about the German Armies in the East, the Koluft was the organisation that enabled units of the Heer to work in cooperation with the Luftwaffe.
    Yes, I believe the Koluft was the Air Force Commander attached to the staff of 6th Army, and that the unit in question came directly under his command.

So does that mean this unit would have been used to defend Luftwaffe air fields during Operation Barbarossa? If so, can anyone tell me where this unit was based in Russia?
    Would it have been in the Don region, near Stalingrad, as part of von Paulus's drive to Stalingrad
    I found a bit more info for you on their deployment from the 'Lexicon der Wehrmacht' site: General der Flakartillerie Wolfgang Pickert - Lexikon der Wehrmacht

"Ab dem 27. Juli 1942 wurde die Division erneut auf Zusammenarbeit mit der 6. Armee angewiesen. Mit dieser Armee nahm die Division am Vorstoß nach Stalingrad teil. Die Verbände der Division wurden in der nördlichen Riegelstellung von Stalingrad eingesetzt und zeichneten sich dort sowohl in der Bekämpfung von Flugzeugen als auch Panzern aus. Nach der Einkesselung der 6. Armee in Stalingrad befanden sich 12 schwere und 13 leichte Batterien innerhalb des Kessels. 5 schwere und 3 leichte Batterien waren der Einkesselung entgangen. Der Divisionsstab übernahm nun auch die Führung der im Kessel eingesetzten rumänischen Flak-Verbände. Die Division wurde schließlich im Kessel von Stalingrad vernichtet."

My best effort at translation would be:

"From 27 July 1942, the Division was again under command of 6th Army. With this army, the division took part in the attack on Stalingrad. The units of the division were deployed in the northern defences at Stalingrad and distinguished themselves in both anti-aircraft and anti-tank actions. After the encirclement of 6th Army in Stalingrad 12 Heavy and 13 Light Batteries were trapped inside the 'cauldron'. 5 Heavy and 3 Light Batteries had escaped the encirclement. The Divisional staff took over the command of the Romanian anti-aircraft units deployed in the 'cauldron'. The division was finally destroyed in the Stalingrad pocket."

I'm sure if I've made any errors there, one of our German speakers will correct me.

Rob

P.S. The commander of 6th Army was Friedrich Paulus, not 'von Paulus'