Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

business by all means ???

Article about: Hello Gentlemen, Last night i was browsing the Internet looking for period photos anf found something that really bothered me. You all know the photo below. It shows a french partisan named

Default business by all means ???

Hello Gentlemen,
    Last night i was browsing the Internet looking for period photos anf found something that really bothered me.
    You all know the photo below. It shows a french partisan named George Blind smiling at the firing squad, seconds before being executed.

and a closer view of George smiling...

A company named "fineartamerica" sells items with this photo printed on. I mean, is there a limit that capitalism & business do respect ?
    The photo does not show Mickey Mouse or Betty Boop....it shows a man about to be summarily executed, an image that shows the horror of war, of occupation....George entered the resistance in 1941 and secretly fought against the germans until 1944 when he got arrested at his home. By the way, George Blind was not executed that day in Belfort when the photo was taken (most probably between the 15th and 25th of October 1944). The germans wanted him to talk and denounce his comrades....his smiling was his answer. Instead of shooting him, they deported him to Dachau, later Auschwitz, where he died most probably on the 28th of November 1944...

What's the point of having a beach towel that shows this event ?
    Is it art ?
    What makes this David Lee Guss think that he can use such a dramatic image from the past to make his pitiful business ?
    Having Mona Lisa or Captain America on the phone case is ok i guess....normal business.....but George Blind facing a firing squad ?

where this world is going to ?
    For those who might be interested, next month i release my new collection of goodies.....it's toilet paper with images of Hiroshima survivors printed on....
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement business by all means ???
    P
    Many

?

hello, really sad, people no longer know where to make money. honest work usually not smells like that. I wish such a merchant to stand there instead of George Blind

I would have no issues with an original photo of the scene as long as it was respected. It is wrong to reprint or copy such photos to make money IMHO.
    John

It is difficult to reason who may be the sickest... those who produce such disgusting items for sale, or those that purchase them.
    Last edited by HARRY THE MOLE; 12-29-2019 at 05:18 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

No defense of this company as I’m not familiar with it But with online searches of photographs there are printing companies out there that don’t seam to necessarily advertise particular photos but it seams as though a random pic it slapped on shirts, handbags, phone cases, hats, etc.

I noticed this sort of thing while doing photo research for a museum I used to volunteer for. At first I thought they were real. But I began to notice that sometimes they were off center. Then there were small off centered parts of a larger photo. For instance centered on the purse was the spade of a howitzer and the boots of one of the cannoneers instead of the zoomed out view of the section firing the howitzer haha!

Like I said I’m not defending this David Lee Gus guy just saying sometimes the internet search engine generates a photo on blank “canvases” (of every conceivable thing) for cheap companies. Just for future reference!

I cannot begin to fathom the vast gulf of emptiness that sits between the ears of the people who would purchase this type of stuff!

The last moments on this earth of a brave patriot being so trivialised appalls me.

I don't think it is right at all and I wonder if the surviving family of that man could sue the company ? I would love to see that happening but probably not possible in American courts.

I cant see them doing this to a photo of an executed American for some reason.

I am wondering if the company might be setup in a way that they have a library of images and an automated site which allows people to base prints and other items based on the catalogue. I think I remember in the last few months amazon had a reseller who was selling items with concentration camp images which were then withdrawn. Imo this one should also be pulled. They would probably use the excuse of trying to make sure 'people never forget' or some such guff but really they are just money grubbers with no respect.

I don't think this image should be trivialized as they are doing, but the idea of a man smiling in the face of death is likely the motivation behind it. Not to glorify the execution or the Germans, but rather the "stick in your eye" of laughing at the oppressors who seem certain to take your life, and the disregard for your own life in order to protect others. It is a very powerful image.
    But, it doesn't belong in the arena of commercialization.

I heard Amazon pulled Auschwitz themed Christmas ornaments this year and I could not believe it was real. In Asia, many images show up on products that we might consider offensive here in the West - very odd. This one, if it is real, is offensive on it's face. NH

TWS
    ?

I think that photo is an excellent symbol of great bravery in the face of death. It's like George Blind is giving his executioners a final "F*** you!", even though it turned out to be a mock execution.

I have no problem with that photo being shared in a respectful manner, to commemorate and remember his courage. However, being placed on kitschy items to sell them to the masses is disgraceful.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast