Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Can you help me find a German soldier?

Article about: Hello everyone! I recently purchased a Verwundetenabzeichen 1939 in Schwarz, in practically mint condition alongside the original citation for the award. I'm wondering whether anyone on this

?

Question Can you help me find a German soldier?

Hello everyone!

I recently purchased a Verwundetenabzeichen 1939 in Schwarz, in practically mint condition alongside the original citation for the award.

I'm wondering whether anyone on this forum would be able to assist me with potentially identifying or otherwise providing useful information regarding the recipient of this award?

I've provided an image of the document and the award below, so do let me know if you can decipher anything of value!

Thanks in advance!

- Gumrum
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can you help me find a German soldier?   Can you help me find a German soldier?  

Can you help me find a German soldier?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Can you help me find a German soldier?
    P
    Many

Looks to have been awarded to a Schütze Wesemann. The unit looks to be: Convalescent Company of Infantry Replacement Battalion 1/130.

If I remember correctly, when German soldiers were wounded bad enough to be taken out of the fight, they would go to a field hospital then to a convalescent company where they would recover to fighting shape before going back to their units. Very interesting that the date is only a week after the start of operation Barbarossa.

Heres a link to Inf. Ers. Btn. 1/130 (in German)
    Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon 130 - Lexikon der Wehrmacht

Edit - Eagle beat me to it.

Hi there.

It is impossible to track down information on the soldier without additional information like a date of birth, death, home address etc.

I can tell you what unit he was in when he received the award -

Gen-Kp = Genesende Kompanie (Convalescent company)

Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon I/130 -
    Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon 130 - Lexikon der Wehrmacht

According to the Volksbund there are three soldiers with the same name who died during the war, but there is no way of knowing if this soldier was one of them.

Kind regards,

Will.

?

As Will said, it would be very difficult to identify or locate information about this Gerhard Wesemann solely based on whats typed on a wound document.

I would say that none of the entries on the Volksbund nor any casualty cards on Fold3 indicate this man. One was killed in July 1941 in Nevel. Another an artilleryman in the SS, and the third was a panzer grenadier. Assuming he had been apart of Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon I/130 before being wounded, that would have had him serving in Infanterie Regiment 749. They were partaking in anti-partisan operations in Yugoslavia in 1941. He would have joined Infanterie Regiment 557 of 331. Infanterie Division near Yukhov.
    The verwundetenabzeichen was awarded to Gerhard in Krumau (Český Krumlov, Czechia) which is ~25km south of where the Ersatz Bataillon was first mobilized in 1939 in České Budějovice, Czechia.

Ben

?

Thank you everyone for your amazing insights!

Whilst I know this document alone doesn’t allow for much digging, you’ve provided a wealth of information about this soldier!

I greatly appreciate each and every bit of info you’ve each provided!

- Gumrum