Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Comrades in arms.

Article about: Another photo that I added to my collection this weekend. I would guess an NCO and two enlisted? I think the three soldiers are listed and they were photographed in Banhof? Thanks for lookin

Default Comrades in arms.

Another photo that I added to my collection this weekend. I would guess an NCO and two enlisted?
    Comrades in arms.
    Comrades in arms.
    Comrades in arms.
    I think the three soldiers are listed and they were photographed in Bahnhof?
    Thanks for looking!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Comrades in arms.
    P
    Many

The one you identify as an NCO does not appear to have any NCO braid on his shoulder boards. Hard to say with this photo. He appears to have some kind of slip-on device on the shoulder boards - the soldier to his right seems to have them too. At first I thought maybe it was braid denoting officer aspirant but that may not be correct. It appears they are at a train station. NH

What Neil said. All three are privates.

Herrieden is a town in Bavaria (more precisely, Franconia) and Bahnhof means railway station. Above that is a woman's name (Rosi Weck).

Thanks Neil and HPL! I am not that well versed in identifying the ranks of the Wehrmacht. The hat threw me off, as I wouldn't have expected a private to wear a hat like that. Also his trousers and shoes are different, or are they just not tucked into his boots? I wasn't sure of his rank, just speculation given the differences.

Peaked caps were worn by all ranks. They are simply in different orders of dress: The man in the center is in walking out order (with peaked cap and shoes or ankle boots) the other two in service dress (with field caps and marching boots).

The Schirmmütze or visor cap was worn by both Mannschaften and NCO ranks. He appears to be in a "walking out" uniform with shoes and straight trousers. It appears the photo was taken pretty early in the war. Note the lack of any awards or ribbons. Based on the uniforms I will guess early to mid 1940. The man on the left still has a dark green collar from what is commonly called the M36 uniform. The other two men are wearing what is commonly called the M40 uniform with Feldgrau collars that match the uniform color.
    NH

Ahhh. That makes more sense. That makes this a good picture to illustrate that difference! Thanks again HPL!

You answered my next observation Neil! I was wondering about the collars too! I am now really glad I grabbed this photo! The small price was well worth it!

Yes, a nice photo illustrating service dress and walking out. One note, all three should have a Seitengewehr or sidearm. In this case, they would have a bayonet on their belts (not visible in this photo) rather than a handgun or pistol. NH