Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dead German soldier in Berlin (photo)

Article about: Hello, I found this photo, showing a scene of the Battle of Berlin. Can anyone tell me what kind of soldier is lying on the floor? Wehrmacht or SS? And what kind of helmet is this right besi

Default Dead German soldier in Berlin (photo)

Hello, I found this photo, showing a scene of the Battle of Berlin. Can anyone tell me what kind of soldier is lying on the floor? Wehrmacht or SS? And what kind of helmet is this right beside him? Many thanks!

Dead German soldier in Berlin (photo)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dead German soldier in Berlin (photo)
    P
    Many

SS uniform, paratrooper M38 helmet and a 2nd model FG42. Quite a mixup.

?

Part of a well known series of photos but one that has caused some debate , lying next to him are a Fallschirmjager helmet and FG 42 but the uniform in close upphotos looks more like SS . It could be a staged photo or simply at this stage on the Battle of Berlin he was wearing whatever uniform and using whatever weapons he could get his hands on.

The photo is on Friedrich Str and elements of both Nordland and 9 FSJ Div were fighting in this area.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul D View Post
    Part of a well known series of photos but one that has caused some debate , lying next to him are a Fallschirmjager helmet and FG 42 but the uniform in close upphotos looks more like SS . It could be a staged photo or simply at this stage on the Battle of Berlin he was wearing whatever uniform and using whatever weapons he could get his hands on.

The photo is on Friedrich Str and elements of both Nordland and 9 FSJ Div were fighting in this area.

We can only speculate, but the nearest possible thing that would not be a mixup of equipment and such is that he was a member of the 600SS FJ battallion, they fought on the Oder front.

But i believe they were all wiped out there and there would be very little chance of them in the Berlin fights.

Interesting photo..
    Look at the Panzerfaust on the right side..

Yes, and under the Panzerfaust is a second helmet, probably Wehrmacht. Have anyone an idea, what type of truck is in the background? Russian or German?

Personally, I rather think that this was a staged photo. The dead body has a pretty obvious "belly" to it-no doubt from decomp gas, but has,apparently, just recently fallen and no one has even picked up his fairly significant weaponry. Also, it may simply be the lighting, but I do not see a magazine in that FG42. The image is questionable at best.
    Last edited by Wagriff; 02-08-2017 at 02:49 AM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

The photo was taken near the Oranianberger Tor U Bahn station the entrance is just to the left , other photos show the same Soviet soldier walking past on ther left side of the body . On close up the uniform may in fact be Volksturm , a real mix !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

*Oranienburger Tor

Photo is often captioned as an officer from Nordland - he is even named in some.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast