Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Gefallen in Finnland. Sterbebilder, "Zum bleibenden Andenken" and other documents related to the German prescence in Finland 1941-1944.

Article about: Hello all, I have been thinking a while about starting a new thread for Sterebebilder to German soldiers who were KIA in Finland from 1941 to 1944. I have collected hundreds of them over the

Jan
    ?

Default Gefallen in Finnland. Sterbebilder, "Zum bleibenden Andenken" and other documents related to the German prescence in Finland 1941-1944.

Hello all,

I have been thinking a while about starting a new thread for Sterebebilder to German soldiers who were KIA in Finland from 1941 to 1944. I have collected hundreds of them over the years for my Modern Conflict Archaeology PhD "Deutsches Lager Hanko 1942-1944" and thought they would be of interest to some of you on this forum.

I will start with a document and a Sterbebild to Obergefreiter Hubert Piel. He was born on October 31st 1922 in Lengsdorf and killed in action on the Salla front (NE Finland) on the 2nd of August 1944.

Best, Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gefallen in Finnland. Sterbebilder, "Zum bleibenden Andenken" and other documents related to the German prescence in Finland 1941-1944.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gefallen in Finnland. Sterbebilder, "Zum bleibenden Andenken" and other documents related to the German prescence in Finland 1941-1944.
    P
    Many

Hi jan.

What a fantastic idea.

The information below is from his Casualty card and the Volksbund).

Hubert Piel
    Birth date: 31 October 1922
    Birth Place: Lengsdorf/Bonn-Ld
    Military Rank: Obergefreiter
    Military Unit: 3./Kompanie Grenadier Regiment 378
    Death date: 2 August 1944
    Death Place: Feldlazarett 618. Alakurtti

Grenadier-Regiment 378
    Grenadier-Regiment 378

169. Infanterie-Division
    Lexikon der Wehrmacht - 169. Infanterie-Division
    Die 169. Infanterie-Division der Wehrmacht
    169. Infanterie-Division

Kind regards,

Will.

- - ------- - -
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gefallen in Finnland. Sterbebilder, "Zum bleibenden Andenken" and other documents related to the German prescence in Finland 1941-1944.  

Last edited by Willmore; 02-26-2022 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Duplicate post

Jan
    ?

Thank you very much Will . Here are two more.

Best, Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gefallen in Finnland. Sterbebilder, "Zum bleibenden Andenken" and other documents related to the German prescence in Finland 1941-1944.   Gefallen in Finnland. Sterbebilder, "Zum bleibenden Andenken" and other documents related to the German prescence in Finland 1941-1944.  

No worries Jan.

I found a Casualty card for Franz, but I couldn't find one for Josef unfortunately.

Name: Franz Kittl
    Birth date: 31 December 1922
    Birth Place: Anif Salzburg
    Military Rank: Obergefreiter
    Military Unit: 13./Kompanie Gebingsjäger Regiment 141
    Death date: 24 April 1944
    Death Place: Stützpunkt Steinkogel. Eismeerfront
    Franz Kittl is buried in the military cemetery in Petschenga prepared by the Volksbund.

Gefallen: Granatsplitter Kopf = Killed in action: Shrapnel/splinter to the head.

Kind regards,

Will.

?

a fascinating subject!

On 14th September 1941 there was a very large explosion in the harbour at Helsinki which destroyed the Räumboote R60, R61 & R62 with a large loss of life. The explosion also damaged other ships and harbour facilities. The German report claimed it was sabotage although there were never any claims of success from the Soviets. One line of thought, and probably the correct one, was a mishandling of depth charges being the cause of the explosion.
    In my collection I have this Wehrpass and some extras to one of the 17 sailors killed when R60 blew up.

(Addition photo source: SA - kuvagalleria )

Gefallen in Finnland. Sterbebilder, "Zum bleibenden Andenken" and other documents related to the German prescence in Finland 1941-1944.Gefallen in Finnland. Sterbebilder, "Zum bleibenden Andenken" and other documents related to the German prescence in Finland 1941-1944.

Gefallen in Finnland. Sterbebilder, "Zum bleibenden Andenken" and other documents related to the German prescence in Finland 1941-1944.Gefallen in Finnland. Sterbebilder, "Zum bleibenden Andenken" and other documents related to the German prescence in Finland 1941-1944.

Jan
    ?

Thanks for this very interesting addition to the thread.

In 2015 accuired the partly burnt log book of the "Schlepper" Passat who was anchored beside the "Räumboote".

Best, Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gefallen in Finnland. Sterbebilder, "Zum bleibenden Andenken" and other documents related to the German prescence in Finland 1941-1944.   Gefallen in Finnland. Sterbebilder, "Zum bleibenden Andenken" and other documents related to the German prescence in Finland 1941-1944.  

Gefallen in Finnland. Sterbebilder, "Zum bleibenden Andenken" and other documents related to the German prescence in Finland 1941-1944.   Gefallen in Finnland. Sterbebilder, "Zum bleibenden Andenken" and other documents related to the German prescence in Finland 1941-1944.  

Gefallen in Finnland. Sterbebilder, "Zum bleibenden Andenken" and other documents related to the German prescence in Finland 1941-1944.  

Jan
    ?

Letter from the Kreisleiter and Landrat of the town of Hildburghausen concerning the death of Unteroffizier Werner --- to the parents.

Best, Jan

Last edited by Jan; 02-28-2022 at 05:59 PM.

that's a nice letter from the Kreisleiter above