Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German Air Raid Shelter Sign

Article about: Hi, There isn't really a forum for this item so I posted it here. I came across this German Air Raid Shelter Sign. It seems to be tin. It looks like the back was fully painted over at some t

Default German Air Raid Shelter Sign

Hi,
    There isn't really a forum for this item so I posted it here. I came across this German Air Raid Shelter Sign. It seems to be tin. It looks like the back was fully painted over at some time as the paint is just "globbed" on. The front also looks like it was repainted and traced around the lettering. Any information or opinions on this item would be most appreciated.

Thanks
    Bill
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Air Raid Shelter Sign   German Air Raid Shelter Sign  

German Air Raid Shelter Sign   German Air Raid Shelter Sign  

German Air Raid Shelter Sign   German Air Raid Shelter Sign  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Air Raid Shelter Sign
    P
    Many

Funny Bill, we have been having a "spirited" discussion about a NSDAP sign in the ART-DECOR forum, this could go there?

But this one is nice - it is not as blatant as others that are reproduced and I have never seen another. The RLB were certainly tasked with air raid precautions so a shelter sign bearing their logo is logical ...... I like it!!!

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Thank you very much for the information.

THe mods could have moved it for you so as to not lose the comments trail ......
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Very nice find Bill, not seen a dedicated RLB produced example before.

Thank you. Do you know about items like this? If so, do you think it's genuine and if it is genuine do you think the fact that it was repainted hurts the value much? TIA for any information.

I quite like it and the German air raid stuff is right up my street as they say..

If it's genuine? I wonder how many people walked past it all those years ago?
    Last edited by The Devil's Bank; 11-26-2020 at 06:16 PM.

I'm sure the lads will give a good opinion on this sign, some real knowledgeable people here.

Would look good in my shed
    Last edited by The Devil's Bank; 11-26-2020 at 06:18 PM.

Thank you all for your opinion.

Back in 1969 to 1971... I was stationed at Napier barracks, the former WW2 German airbase at Brackel on the outskirts of Dortmund. All the wartime shelters in the officers quarters - and other particular buildings - were just as they were during the war, and I distinctly remember the doors being marked in big bold letters in black...

LUFTSCHUTZRAUM.

Cheers,
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast