Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German Luftwaffe complex in Königsberg in 1944?

Article about: Hello, Was there a large Luftwaffe base or HQ located in Königsberg? Were any of it's allies also stationed or had representatives located in Königsberg? say Italian, Romanian or Hungarian a

Default German Luftwaffe complex in Königsberg in 1944?

Hello,

Was there a large Luftwaffe base or HQ located in Königsberg?
    Were any of it's allies also stationed or had representatives located in Königsberg? say Italian, Romanian or Hungarian air-fields or planes there?

Thanks,
    Neil

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Luftwaffe complex in Königsberg in 1944?
    P
    Many

There were 3 airfields in the vicinity of Königsberg. Go to this link and click on the title Germany (1937 Borders) and scroll down for Königsberg, Königsberg-Devau and Königsberg-Neuhausen for loads of information on those locations...
    Luftwaffe Airfields 1935-1945

Thank you!
    Was there one general main HQ where axis pilots or engineers where stationed in or around Königsberg? would this narrow down the search or all fields had axis staff as well?
    The link mentions close to 26 locations around Königsberg ranging from several 10's km and up to several 100's km away from the city...

Which ones are 100 Km's from the city? If they were that far from the city then they belonged to another location.

There would of been an overseeing organisation for the Luftwaffe, namely Luftgau-Kommando I which was located in Königsberg...
    Luftgau-Kommando I

In France, all German airfields were occupied by allied, because they need to go to the end of the war, after, only the main bases were kept(for the cold war)
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Just got back home.
    Some of the far stations from Königsberg that I saw in the link where Allenstein-Deuthen, Arys-Rostken, Grieslienen, Ortelsburg, Rastenburg.
    So a Romanian engineer, on official service for the air ministry, sent from Bucharest first to Berlin, ended up living in Königsberg around April of 1944 to Janury 1945, would be most likely stationed at Luftgau-Kommando I?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Luftwaffe complex in Königsberg in 1944?   German Luftwaffe complex in Königsberg in 1944?  

German Luftwaffe complex in Königsberg in 1944?  

It is impossible to say. He could of been stationed on one of the airfields in any one of the myriad support units. Just look at how many units Luftgau-Kdo I was in command of. Just because he was in the city for a period doesn't mean he wasn't sent elsewhere within that sphere of responsibility. Without his service record you will probably never find out.

But not all airfields would support Romanian planes? I am sure a few might have been stationed there aiding the Germans fighting the advancing Red Army...
    From his 'position' can one deduct what exactly he was doing?

He might not of been there in relation to aircraft. He could of been in a liaison role, or in some other support role even admin with regards to engineering records. Don't forget that in August 1944 Romania changed sides and joined the Soviet cause so there is a chance that he wouldn't of been allowed anywhere near German units after that time.

There is no way of knowing what he was doing without his records. He could of been sat twiddling his thumbs for all we know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast