Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

A Guide to Collecting Mein Kampf

Article about: This thread is intended to be a collector’s guide to buying various editions of Mein Kampf. The book’s publishing history is confusing, so you will probably see something in here with which

Useful Forum Threads
    Metal Case for MK lucabrnroma 2012 Mein kampf metal box very impressive but...real??

Discussion of hand-made boxes wolfslair 2012 SS Wedding Presentation Copy of Mein Kampf

Handmade Book boxes stugIII 2010 SS Mein Kampf Oak Casket

Hochzeitsausgabe fbeaty 2016 Mein Kampf minty

Tornisterausgabe fbeaty 2017 Mein Kampf "Tornisterausgabe" 1942 edition

Volksausgabe, Dutch ed. Krisse 2012 Period Mein Kampf Dutch edition

Volksaufgabe w/ jacket ves Mein Kampf 1939 Book - Opinion needed!

Wedding edition james 3567 Mein Kampf

Volksausgabe Srdj Mein Kampf 1939 edition

Hocheitsausgabe sovint First edition Mein kampf. Is it worth it.

Volksausgabbe martin92 Mein Kampf

Volksausgabe Avenger Mein Kampf - People's Edition 1942

Hocheitsausgabe JMM Mein Kampf - Wedding Edition

1929 vol. 1 presentation edition Aethervox First Edition Mein Kampf?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A Guide to Collecting Mein Kampf
    P
    Many

JMM
    ?

Dwight, if I may I think it would also be important to refer that the first complete English translation of Mein Kampf came from James Murphy in 1939 and was published by Hurst & Blackett (royalties to the British Red Cross Society…)
    Murphy was previously hired by the German Propaganda Ministry to make an English translation.
    The publishing ended in 1942 when the printing company was bombed by Germany during an attack.

There was also The Hutchinson print of James Murphy’s translation that was divided into 18 Weekly Editions. The first seven editions had yellow and red covers; the eighth edition was red and white and the remaining editions had red covers. They sold for 6 pence (about 10 cents in US dollars at the time).

The sequel to Mein Kampf - “Zweites Buch” (aka Hitler’s Second Book or Hitler’s Secret Book), is an unedited transcript of Adolf Hitler's thoughts on foreign policy written in 1928. It was written after Mein Kampf and was not published in his lifetime. The Zweites Buch was not published in 1928 because Mein Kampf did not sell well at that time and Hitler's publisher, Franz-Eher-Verlag, told him that a second book would hinder sales even more. (Wikipedia)

As to your question regarding the wooden box, no I don't have one

Attachment 1382718
    Dust cover for the 1939 anniversary edition

Attachment 1382719
    MK poster

Attachment 1382720 Attachment 1382721
    James Murphy edition

Attachment 1382722
    Hutchinson Weekly Editions

Attachment 1382724
    Zweites Buch

Jmm: Thanks for that interesting contribution to the thread. I have little or no information on the foreign translations, which makes this addition particularly valuable. The Americans also translated Mein Kampf, some under license and others as pirate publications. I know of their existance, but nothing of the details. There were also Arabic and Japanese translations. Not only am I essentially ignorant about foreign translations, I am equally ignorant about the plethora of privately produced specialty bound copies. Typically, they were standard Eher Verlag printings from which the original binding was removed and some sort of fancy binding substituted. Most were done up in metal. I know that Eher Verlag commissioned several of those special bindings. But that is an entirely separate field from mine. One of the reasons I stay away from it is that it is a minefield of frauds and fantasy junk. If you can, would you expand on the British editions? Were they printed as part of the British Fascist movement? I have never understood why the Americans made the effort to publish the Book in English, because I cannot imagine a market for it in the US in the late 20's and early 30's. Maybe someone who is following this thread can fill in the American history of the book. The Best, Dwight

Very interesting thread. Thank you for posting.

Here's a French edition. 1939

reneblacky ; thanks for contributing that. Can you tell us something abut it? It looks like a paperback; what are its dimensions and why did the French publish it? I know that in the US, one of the reasons that the publisher gave was so that US citizens would have a better understanding of how Hitler's mind work and what to expect from him. Maybe the French publisher felt the same way. Also what is the going price for something like that? It's a collector's first question. Dwight

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    reneblacky ; thanks for contributing that. Can you tell us something abut it? It looks like a paperback; what are its dimensions and why did the French publish it? I know that in the US, one of the reasons that the publisher gave was so that US citizens would have a better understanding of how Hitler's mind work and what to expect from him. Maybe the French publisher felt the same way. Also what is the going price for something like that? It's a collector's first question. Dwight
    G'day Dwight,

Cheers, to be honest I don't really know much about it? My first thought it would be sympathizers? due to the climate of the time, but your point is probably more valid. It is paperback and about 25cm high x 12cm approx. Going price, I have no idea? I've had it for years and it was found at a local second hand book shop up the road from me.
    Last edited by reneblacky; 02-20-2020 at 02:37 AM. Reason: added text

JMM
    ?

Jmm: Thanks for that interesting contribution to the thread. I have little or no information on the foreign translations, which makes this addition particularly valuable. The Americans also translated Mein Kampf, some under license and others as pirate publications. I know of their existance, but nothing of the details. There were also Arabic and Japanese translations. Not only am I essentially ignorant about foreign translations, I am equally ignorant about the plethora of privately produced specialty bound copies. Typically, they were standard Eher Verlag printings from which the original binding was removed and some sort of fancy binding substituted. Most were done up in metal. I know that Eher Verlag commissioned several of those special bindings. But that is an entirely separate field from mine. One of the reasons I stay away from it is that it is a minefield of frauds and fantasy junk. If you can, would you expand on the British editions? Were they printed as part of the British Fascist movement? I have never understood why the Americans made the effort to publish the Book in English, because I cannot imagine a market for it in the US in the late 20's and early 30's. Maybe someone who is following this thread can fill in the American history of the book. The Best, Dwight
    Dwight, there's a good explanation of the British edition in wikipedia:

Mein Kampf in English - Wikipedia

JMM, thanks for the link. You are right, the article is a good explanation, and I found the infighting among the British and American publishers fascinating. I still do not understand why the translated editions of Mein Kampf in all its many forms, sold so well in both countries. I can understand that those translations, especially the annotated versions, were useful to government policy makers who were tasked with dealing with Hitler, his Party, and the German government. I can also see that collecting those US and British translations would be an interesting hobby. Thanks again for posting the link. Dwight

?

Attachment 1381708

Attachment 1381713
    2-vol. Volksausgabe standard editions 1932-1944
    5 x.7.5 inches (12.5 x 19.3 cm) $100- $300
    In 1932, a 2-vol. paperback edition came out that was sold in a single carboard slipcase. There are not a lot of them on the market because they just did not hold-up well over time.
    Thanks for starting this topic Dwight . A friend of mine has just come across a number of sets of the paperback edition , literally out of the attic ! All in good condition but without the cardboard case !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Paul, thanks for this post. Your friend certainly made a rare find. Is there a possibility that he could post an example of a title page from one of the editions? Dwight

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast