Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hand to hand combat from Crete!

Article about: Finaly i got the story behind this legendary photo! A unique photo taken by British liaison with ELAS [communist Greek resistance group] John Emberson, who was following ELAS operations. The

Default Re: Hand to hand combat from Crete!

In 2006
    Caption on second to last photo sounds ore like propaganda than anything else? Where is the next shot of the dead?

The last photo is certainly staged. The Germans are not even wearing the most basic required equipment to start with, the boots on the guy German to the left are too big. The tri-color on the helmet would have been gone by 1944 so it was likely captured earlier..... the list goes on.

I do not doubt the picture was taken from someone or even the person listed, I simply call staged on the photo.

I do not want to take away from your post though. It is still part of the topic and valid. Nice pictures.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Hand to hand combat from Crete!
    P
    Many

The couple on the left look like they're dancing...no-one is fighting for their life here.

I don't know if this is an original war era photo! Despite this, i was always fascinated when i watched it! I think it is a post war photo too but it gives a nice look on the fierce fightings that took place in Crete! Noone knows for sure if it was taken during or after the war! Rumor has it that is an original photo taken during the ambush but who knows... Anyway, i love it!!! Without wanting to sound the bad guy all the comments here saying it is a fake are invalid! Just think all the weird and bizzare things we've seen in pictures of the war! There are too many "what if" 's that can explain everything...

- - Updated - -

Quote by The woodpecker View Post
    ''Crosses many crosses, the Germans paid dearly for freedom Cretan land who they wanted to enslave'' [a part of a poem ]
    May i have the whole poem??? I'd like to read anything that has something to do with that Battle!

Quote by lebus12 View Post
    In 1944 they had the35 helmet with insignias ? I never saw such picture, when it's battle you don't think to photos.
    Sorry but you are wrong! When it's battle, reporters that follow a combat unit have the work of depicting the face of war... Countless photos and videos during the battle have been published!

Quote by The woodpecker View Post
    Thanks for the photos mate.If you have more i will glad to see them!!
    I have too many photos from the Battle of Crete! I've never counted them but i think they are over 300-400!! I have both famous and less known photographs (my favorite photograph collection is the one showing the execution at Kontomari frame by frame)...

?

We'd love to see em!

Quote by Dean View Post
    We'd love to see em!
    Ok!!! I will make a new thread with photos from the Battle of Crete later on today because now i'm at work! Thanks for your interest Dean!!!

I put the picture on a French site : During one ambush the men don't keep one weapon on the back, never. Germans have no equipments.
    It was made in "souvenir" of this battle.
    I must look in the book "Les Allemands en Egée" written by my friend J.L. Robba in 1987.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2