Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Help needed with inscription

Article about: Hello everyone. Can any Forum member help to translate an inscription found on the reverse of a photograph I recently obtained. I can work out some of the details, but others remain a myster

mjw
    ?

Default Help needed with inscription

Hello everyone. Can any Forum member help to translate an inscription found on the reverse of a photograph I recently obtained. I can work out some of the details, but others remain a mystery to me. It would appear that between the officers first and second names is the letter 'v' which I assume is short for 'von'. I believe the wording also indicates that he was killed/died? I am unable to identify the unit/regiment. I have also included the obverse which has a pencil inscription at the base, possibly the photographers name? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Kind regards, Malcolm.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help needed with inscription   Help needed with inscription  

Help needed with inscription  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help needed with inscription
    P
    Many

Hard to read the top but this indicates the photo is of a Lieutenant. Looks like the photo dates to February 1943. Gefallen means died. Apparently this soldier died in battle June 29th 1944.

If that is an A this may mean Artillery Regiment 6.

Quote by Neil Hever View Post
    Hard to read the top but this indicates the photo is of a Lieutenant. Looks like the photo dates to February 1943. Gefallen means died. Apparently this soldier died in battle June 29th 1944.
    Yup, 18 years old (when photo was taken?) Leutnant in artillery regiment 6!..

mjw
    ?

Neil and Gunny. Many thanks for your help. It is much appreciated. Kind regards, Malcolm.

His name was Gerhard von Lüpke; otherwise Neil and the Gunny already had it covered:

"Gerhard v. Lüpke (18 J)
    Leutnant im A.R. 6
    Febr. 1943
    Gefallen 29. VI. 44
    "

As has been said above, "18 J" stands for "18 Jahre" [= 18 years] and "A.R. 6", means "Artillerieregiment 6" [= Artillery Regiment 6]. "Febr. 1943" is, of course, "Februar 1943" [February 1943] - apparently the time the photograph was taken - and "Gefallen 29. VI. 44" is "KIA 29 June 44".

mjw
    ?

Hello HPL2008. Thank you very much for the very interesting and comprehensive reply – I am very grateful to you. A very sad picture. Kind regards, Malcolm.

Good replies the knowledge here is quite amazing