Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Help with Unit ID

Article about: Can anyone help with the unit identification? Thanks

Default Help with Unit ID

Help with Unit ID
    Can anyone help with the unit identification?
    Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with Unit ID
    P
    Many

I cannot tell you with certainty the unit’s identity, but I can tell you where it was located. The unit was in, or around, Iglau, (Jihlava), Czechoslovakia, which was in The Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia, specifically, in the Bohemian-Moravian Highlands. The town is located on the map below inside the octagon just below the EC in Czechoslovakia.
    Help with Unit ID
    I used a copy of, German Military Abbreviations, prepared by the Military Intelligence Service, Special Series No. 12, MIS 461, 12 April 1943, to figure out the unit's desgination, but I could not find any listings that looked like 6A Komp. II. 135. I did recognize Komp. which is company, and the A in 6A could stand for Abschmitt (Sector, Section, or Zone) or Abteillung (section; detachment; department; battalion.) My guess is that he was in Sector 6, Company II, Batallion 135. But there is no indication as to what regiment, division or army his unit was in.
    The guy who mailed the letter was a Gefeiter, which is best converted to Jr. Cpl. In the US Army. Dwight

Thanks Dwight, that helps a lot. This is the first letter or group of letters I have received and it was a little difficult to decipher. I'll look and see if I can find out something about the 135.

Lonewolf523, It might have been a special unit of some sort, maybe military government. The fact that there is no Feldpost number is odd. If you find any more about it, please post it. Dwight

Dwight I will. I am working with someone who will translate them for me. I think there are two or three from the same guy. Thanks