Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Instructional posters: Field uniforms of the British Army 1940 - 1944

Article about: Good day, I'm not sure if this belongs in the "Photos/Paper" sub-forum or the "Western Allies - Uniforms." The OKH published a series of field manuals featuring the unifo

Default Instructional posters: Field uniforms of the British Army 1940 - 1944

Good day, I'm not sure if this belongs in the "Photos/Paper" sub-forum or the "Western Allies - Uniforms."

The OKH published a series of field manuals featuring the uniforms/weapons of the soldiers the Wehrmacht fought against: such as the armies of the French, Soviet Union, and Yugoslavs. The one I wish to focus on is the British Army.

This poster comes in two formats; a smaller version inside a pocket book issued to soldiers, and a larger one for field HQ.

The poster was revised a few times as the war progressed:

The first edition was published during 1940 - focusing exclusively on the British soldiers in the Battle of France.
    The 1941 edition identifies the soldiers of New Zealand & Australia, and examines the army's tropical uniform.
    The 1944 edition identifies more soldiers of the Commonwealth, and examines the uniforms of the army's Airborne and Commando soldiers.

I'm curious if anyone has such posters in their collection?

Instructional posters: Field uniforms of the British Army 1940 - 1944

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Instructional posters: Field uniforms of the British Army 1940 - 1944
    P
    Many

Hi there.

I had not seen one of these before, thank you for showing it here.

Kind regards,

Will.

You are welcome, Will! I'm glad you find the posters interesting!

They seem to be quite rare, I've only ever seen one or two for sale within the past few years.

One might have a better chance of finding "Der Soldat in Libyen" field manual, which contains the pocket sized posters.

Here are some images of the 1940 and 1944 editions,

courtesy of Wikipedia.

Instructional posters: Field uniforms of the British Army 1940 - 1944Instructional posters: Field uniforms of the British Army 1940 - 1944

Very nice. I like the stoic expressions on the faces. Perhaps a grudging respect that their enemy was professional and not a pushover?

I think you are right. The OKH/OKW respected the tenacity of British and Commonwealth soldiers.

?

These are great! I had no idea anything like this existed, many thanks for posting them. I like the way the helmets have been portrayed set at a jaunty angle.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Thanks for your comments gents, if you are interested in the field manual for your own collection/research; I would part with the 1940 edition with the poster included.