Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Interesting photo album I came upon

Article about: So, this album I bought months ago and finally really got around to looking at it recently. This, just from a speculation standpoint is a fun one to try and figure out. This album I believe

Default Interesting photo album I came upon

So, this album I bought months ago and finally really got around to looking at it recently. This, just from a speculation standpoint is a fun one to try and figure out. This album I believe belonged to Frid (or Fridolin) Klag or his wife (possibly Gudrun based on an end of the album discovery.)

This album is pocket sized and does not have far too many interesting photographs. Just regular run of the mill military life. I've attached some of the photographs. Midway through the album there is a picture of Frid Klag in a hospital bed. The name is clearly displayed above the bed. Tucked behind the photograph was a small obituary for a Johann Ludwig Klag who was aged 59. A father or family member to the Frid Klag I am assuming. The funeral photographs, possibly could be of Johann Klag but there is really no way of knowing.

The album continues with some wedding photographs and then ends. But, in the back there is a picture of an American solder, who I guess is known to 'Gudrun' by the name 'Red'. There is a photograph of him with a note written on the back and a typed letter tucked in with it in the back of the album. Did Fridolin Klag pass and Gudrun was a widow? I just find it an interesting one. Interesting photo album I came uponInteresting photo album I came uponInteresting photo album I came uponInteresting photo album I came uponInteresting photo album I came upon

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Interesting photo album I came upon
    P
    Many

Additional, not sure why they are right side up for me and post sideways so apologies
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting photo album I came upon   Interesting photo album I came upon  

Interesting photo album I came upon   Interesting photo album I came upon  

Part 3
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting photo album I came upon   Interesting photo album I came upon  

MAP
    ?

Wow...that's a plot twist. Looks like "Red" fell for Gudrun but she spurned his advances???

The funeral is military, so doubt the 59 year old Johann is the one being buried.

Nice album. Pictures are great. So much to see and learn but they also leave so many unanswered questions
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Really interesting.
    Do you know Frid and Gudrun were a couple from the wedding photos?
    Thank you for this intriguing post.

Thank you! From what I can tell it does appear Frid and Gudrun were a couple, there is some writing on the back of photographs which I'm going to have to try and look into a little further but the older cursive and German throws me off a bit in terms of translating it.

From the obituary it doesn't make a mention of Friedolin/Fridolin Klag that is what throws me off as to his relation to Johann Klag. I'm not very well versed in hospitals of the period, wondering if there is anything the board behind Frid Klag can tell us. I can't find anything for Frid Klag in volksbunde to see if he had passed on during the war which would possibly shed light on Gudrun being a widow. Originally when I bought it, they said the newspaper clipping was of when 'Frid' passed but obviously I knew that was not the case, but it added to the mystery which is why I went ahead to purchase it.

The board above the head says

04123A 15.12.42
    Gren.
    Frid. Klag
    D 21 A

So, after enlisting some translation help....the writing on the front doesn't really help anything besides possibly telling us where the physical album came from

Zur Erinnerung an Deinen Geburtstag 1937 Von Deiner Freundin Luitgart Nebel

In memory of your birthday in 1937 From your friend Luitgart Nebel

It looks to me that the fellow being buried had some hefty rank. Dwight

Very Interesting piece, another mystery! The Note about Johann Ludwig Klag says:

Farmer, my beloved husband, our faithful father, was unexpectedly take from us at the age of 59 years. In deep grief Mrs. Kath. Klag, born as Herget. Walter Klag and Mrs. Albertine born as Huy and all related. Bolanderhof (A place i actually found on googel Maps, they have a Website, the place is owned by a family called Kaegy though, and that supposedly since over a century.)
    The funeral happend on the 26.12.1944.

To Note is that there is no special mentioning of Gudrun or Frid. if they would have been close relatives, Nephews or Children they would likely have been mentioned i suppose. So either they where not that closely related, or Frid. was he maybe already dead at that time and thus was never mentioned?

Also, regarding the Funeral, i´m not a Uniform guy, but can you find certain equipment of Insignia which could date it more closely, and thus give us ideas of when it happend? I see no National Shields, so def. post 1939. I see one guy with what i think to be an Infantry Sturmabzeichen too. Also there is writing on the wreat in the picture where the soldiers salute with their K98k´s.