Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

KIA Waffen-SS Rottenführer (SS-Feldgendarmerie) document grouping

Article about: I just received this original, salty Waffen-SS Soldbuch, SS-Führerschein, Betriebsberechtigungsschein and some associated papers related to the death of SS-Rottenführer Johann Haller. He s

Jan
    ?

Default KIA Waffen-SS Rottenführer (SS-Feldgendarmerie) document grouping

I just received this original, salty Waffen-SS Soldbuch, SS-Führerschein, Betriebsberechtigungsschein and some associated papers related to the death of SS-Rottenführer Johann Haller. He served with the SS-SPW-Ausbildungs und Ersatz-Bataillon and the Feldgendarmerie-Kompanie/ SS-Kraftfahr-Ausbildungs und Ersatz-Regiment, stationed in Weimar-Buchenwald and then Bad-Tennstedt.

Johann was killed along with over 50 other German soldiers during the bitter fighting between U.S and German forces that took place in Gispersleben (N. of Erfurt, Germany) during the “Endkampf” between April 11th -12th 1945. The water drenched documents were taken from his body (perhaps by a US Soldier) and given to the German authorities, who then sent them to his wife Elisabeth Haller.

During my research of the grouping, I stumbled upon this marker in Gispersleben with his last name inscribed on it. Despite the lack of his first name Johann on the stone I´m convinced this is the same man.

I will post the different documents separately, starting with the Soldbuch.

Best,

Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KIA Waffen-SS Rottenführer (SS-Feldgendarmerie) document grouping   KIA Waffen-SS Rottenführer (SS-Feldgendarmerie) document grouping  

KIA Waffen-SS Rottenführer (SS-Feldgendarmerie) document grouping   KIA Waffen-SS Rottenführer (SS-Feldgendarmerie) document grouping  

KIA Waffen-SS Rottenführer (SS-Feldgendarmerie) document grouping   KIA Waffen-SS Rottenführer (SS-Feldgendarmerie) document grouping  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement KIA Waffen-SS Rottenführer (SS-Feldgendarmerie) document grouping
    P
    Many

Jan
    ?

SS-Führerschein and Betriebsberechtigungsschein.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KIA Waffen-SS Rottenführer (SS-Feldgendarmerie) document grouping   KIA Waffen-SS Rottenführer (SS-Feldgendarmerie) document grouping  

Jan
    ?

Papers associated wit his death and "Gedenktafel, Kriegsopfers Gispersleben".

Hi Jan.

Very interesting group, thank you for sharing it with.

Name: Haller
    Date of birth: 09.10.1922
    Place of birth: Stolberg/Rheinl.
    Death/missing date: 10.04.1945
    Death/missing place: Gispersleben
    Service rank: Rottenführer

Haller is buried in the military cemetery in Erfurt-Gispersleben.
    Gravesearch online

Headquarters XX Corps. A.P.O US Army April 1945 -
    https://xxcorps.org/files/OR7.pdf

80th Division Veterans Association -
    80th Infantry Division - Photo Collection - Paul Oechsner

Memorial plaque to war victims in Gispersleben -
    Gedenktafel Kriegsopfer Gispersleben – erfurt-web.de

Photo of fallen SS soldier -
    On the 10th/11th On April 1, 1945, north of the city of Erfurt, in the village of Gispersleben, heavy fighting broke out between the American 317th Infantry Regiment and the German Kampfgruppe Kauer, which consisted of members of the Waffen-SS, Wehrmacht, Volkssturm and Hitler Youth. More than forty Germans and a dozen Americans died in the process.
    File:Gispersleben April 1945 Gefallener Angehoriger der Waffen-SS.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Kind regards,

Will.
    Last edited by Willmore; 07-04-2023 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Fixing a link

Congratulations on this impressive score -
    The background information certainly contributes to the overall "Mystique"...

Nice Post Jan

Very interesting group of documents. Very appropriate that he probably fell to men from the 317th Infantry Regiment, who would shortly thereafter liberate the very cradle of Hitlers Reich when then crossed the Inn river and took control of Braunau.

Jan
    ?

Thanks Will,

I have added all of the infomation provided by you to my collection archives

Best,

Jan

TWS
    ?

Quote by Jan View Post
    During my research of the grouping, I stumbled upon this marker in Gispersleben with his last name inscribed on it. Despite the lack of his first name Johann on the stone I´m convinced this is the same man.

Jan
    I agree. The DOB matches so it's got to be the same man.

Nice document grouping!
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Jan
    ?

Map of the battle of Gispersleben, now and then photos from the 11th of April 1945 and a photo of a KIA Waffen SS soldier in Gispersleben. The text to the photo reads:

"A Nazi SS trooper sprawled on the cluttered streets of Gisperleben, Germany, snapped by Pfc. Charles A. Blomquist shortly after his Co H, 317th Infantry had beaten off an enemy counter-offensive."

Best,

Jan

Attached Images Attached Images KIA Waffen-SS Rottenführer (SS-Feldgendarmerie) document grouping