Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Letter Written by Young German Boy to a Former American G.I. who he had spent time with While in Germany During WW2.

Article about: This letter was written by a young German boy named Udo Graumann. He had spent time and gotten close with an American G.I. named Glenn Abdon during WW2. They exchanged addresses and this was

Default Letter Written by Young German Boy to a Former American G.I. who he had spent time with While in Germany During WW2.

Letter Written by Young German Boy to a Former American G.I. who he had spent time with While in Germany During WW2.
    This letter was written by a young German boy named Udo Graumann. He had spent time and gotten close with an American G.I. named Glenn Abdon during WW2. They exchanged addresses and this was the first letter the boy sent to Glenn a few years after the wars end. The letter reads:

“ April 25th 1948,

Hallo Glenn!

It’s soon 3 years ago, that you left Marktoberdorf. I think you know who I am. I write now the first time to you. You are already a long time at home, I think. This month I am 1 year in Solingen and here I go to school too. I don’t have to go by train to school, how I had to do it when I was at M.O. But here it isn’t so nice as in Bavaria. Round our house are ruins. In neighbors house were 4 persons dead. But it is “at home”, though we only get a little to eat. I remember sometimes to the good time, when I had the good candies and chocolate from you, and when we went for fishing, can you remember?

My father came back from prison last year. The Americans would discharge him in 1946 already, but there were the French doctors who wanted him and many other fellows for rebuilding of France. So he was still 2 years in a French prisoner camp. He is wounded at his left hand. My grandfather is wounded too. He was under the ruins of his own house, together with my grandmother, who was blind for several weeks.

I hope that you and your family are alright. I would be very glad to receive an early answer from you and remain with kind regards,

your little friend,
    Udo”

I don’t have much information on Udo unfortunately but Glenn would pass away on February 7th 2007 at the Veterans Hospital in Dayton, Ohio. I’m not sure how long he and Udo kept up communications. I do have several other letters from Udo that I will post overtime.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Letter Written by Young German Boy to a Former American G.I. who he had spent time with While in Germany During WW2.
    P
    Many

A very poignant post letter. I do wonder how much longer they kept up their communications and whether they ever met again? Looking forward to further posts.

Me too. And I look forward to sharing them!

Hi JB.

This is an amazing letter, thank you for sharing it with us.

I have had a search for information about Udo but couldn't find anything that I can say is him.

Kind regards,

Will.

Hey Will,

No problem! And I can’t find anything concrete as well unfortunately. That’s the way it is sometimes. Thank you for checking.

Good day,
    JB