Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Letters to home 1940-1945. Translate?

Article about: Hello all. Recently I was given about 2 dozen letters and post cards from ww2 Germany. I'm not sure if all are from the same soldier though many do have the same name on them What looks to b

That's a great idea. I have the next 3 days off so I will have some fun in the evenings sorting them. I'll post some more of the typed ones.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Letters to home 1940-1945.   Translate?
    P
    Many

Okay here's the only other typed letter I have found. your mission, should you choose to accept it (james bond joke) is to help me to find out what he's talking to Thea about. If anyone knows someone who can translate the german cursive letters I'd be greatly appreciative.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Letters to home 1940-1945.   Translate?   Letters to home 1940-1945.   Translate?  

My dear Tha!

This evening i have a mood, i would like to hug the whole world! Why, i dont even know. I havent heard any details about my vacation, but i suspect it 100%. Also my Boss has given me time off this evening and in spite of the cold temperatures i actually went to the cinema. They showed "The black robe". I wasnt very thrilled by the movie, but it wasnt able to disturb my mood. You know, when i think about your letters i can only be filled by joy. This evening there are again 2 letters from you on my table, for example "Your Impressions of Family Windhoevel". Is your curiosity sattisfied? Mine is admittedly a bit aswell, because i´ve been secretly interested myself. I can only marvel over your 23 Kilometer march. I dont know if i could have brought myself to such a march, except if i wanted to you! If that was the case i really wouldnt mind the few kilometers. I glaldy aknowledge the invitation for my next vaccation by Elsi, but i´m of the opinion that we spend the few days rather at home, if not we travel half the time and nothing comes of it. We can talk about it when its time. Anyways, the matters at Windhoevels are exactly like we imagined. Elsi commands the Regiment and it gets more and more fantastical with her men. Your suspicion that she will stay prolonged virgin may become truth. But that shall not be our worry. It must come the day you dont want me anymore and i had a very weak hour!!! This evening i again really dont know, what i should do with all my adventurism. If i just had you here, i would not have to think long. - You say Lonning is again busy with soldiers. - I already wanna be there just to examine the heap. You are right, we dont an Einquartierung (soldiers being stationed in the house to sleep) if i come home for vaccation. That could be very unpleasant for us. We would atleast need a room just for us, after closing time!! Also, if again a letter written by typewriter arrives from you, i wont accept it!! There seemingly are a lot of people who live in the past. My Spiess may be also weird in this regard, he said lately, "Fräulein" would not be abbreviated. Well, we both are justdifferent people then the majority and we plan on staying that way. Just keep writing me a long letter by typewrite every day. I dont take any offense in that. The contents should be the most important thing in a letter. I really would have liked to get to know that weird "Lehmann". We shurly would have not become friends, i´m convinced by that based on your storys. - I am not dissapointed you dont send me newspapers anymore. We get Daily Papers here now aswell and most of the time i have no time to read the newspaper anyways. I really is crazy with the work. I´m already awake since 01:30 and soon its again 22.00, when i´m out of this office soon, then i can proudly say, that i have worked. The sergant that should replace me, is still as a temporary substitute at the Regiment. I dont know yet if i will become Squad leader or what the Boss plans with me after that. I already heard different options that i would like. The work is way better if you know its appreciated, and this is certainly the case for me.

For today best wishes and all the best,
    your Peter.

Based on the new Text, we can be certain that Thea and Peter are a couple that own a house, likely no children, aswell as the fact that Peter likely is an Staff Officer in an desk job position, with the possibility of becoming an Generalleutnant (I´m not sure, it says "Gruppenführer" in the documents, based on my short research that means Generalleutnant - General Major?).

I find it very interesting that people seemingly looked down upon letters written by typewriter? Maybe its comparable to today, where a letter is more formal and personal then an email? Certainly explains the small amount of typed letters in comparsion to written ones.

You can maybe send a few more handwritten ones and i can try to read them, i´m now intrigued by Thea and Peter! (Is there maybe a FPN on the letters envelope? Would be interesting to find his Regiment.)

Edit:

Based on the FPN: C - 54708 - on one of the letters you sent, it could be:
    Fallschirm-Feldersatz-Bataillon 2 Hermann Goring,
    (23.4.1944-24.11.1944) 22.9.1944 Stab u. 1.-8. Kompanie

But i´m not sure abut the C infront of the number. Would need better pics. Also maybe the envelope with the typewritten name of the woman? If he was an higher official maybe we can find a bit more about him.
    Fallschirm-Feldersatz-Bataillon 2 Hermann Goring.

Yes FPN 54708 still being used by the unit in Spring 1945, C is a prefix for the Kompanie he was in.

Oh my gosh this is fantastic. I will get the peter and Thea ones separated from the others and then placed in date order if I can. I'm sure there are a couple in cursive from them. I have asked the gentleman who has other correspondence and letters if he has any others from them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2