Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help with German handwriting

Article about: Hello All, This is a photo of an etiquette tag from an M1936 officers (panzer hauptmann) overcoat - which has a custom rabbit-fur liner installed (hence the tag) in January 18th, 1942. I won

?

Default Need help with German handwriting

Hello All,

This is a photo of an etiquette tag from an M1936 officers (panzer hauptmann) overcoat - which has a custom rabbit-fur liner installed (hence the tag) in January 18th, 1942.
    I wonder if anyone can read the owner's name and number?
    Thanks in advance!
    Cheers,
    Fabe
    Need help with German handwritingNeed help with German handwritingNeed help with German handwritingNeed help with German handwriting

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help with German handwriting
    P
    Many

?

Anyone (possibly German speaking fellow collector)?

TWS
    ?

That's a tough one. Those darn tailors and their sloppy handwriting.

"Lt. Heinz(?) _ _ rde"

Sorry I cannot be of more help.
    Last edited by TWS; 12-13-2020 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Forgot the " at the end.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

It is a tough one... Possible surname of Torde.

The first name may be an abbreviation.
    Looks like there is a point after it.
    Manf., Wolf.,

TWS
    ?

When I have a partial name for an officer and I know the unit, I search far and wide around the Internet and a couple times I've gotten lucky by finding an officer whose name matches both the unit and the letters of the name I have made out.

But without the unit it becomes very difficult.

One example: I have the Waffenrock of an Oberleutnant Zauleck. Reading the tailor tag in the pocket, I wasn't sure if the name was Zanleck or Zauleck, but I knew he was in Artillerie Regiment 103 from the numerals on the shoulder boards. I hit on a unit history of AR 103 and "boom!" there he was, listed in a officer roster as Zauleck. It was really nice confirming the exact name and confirming that no one had played with the tunic and added the unit numbers to it.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

?

Thank you all for the help so far.
    So our best guess for now would be:

"Lt. ..... Torde" (first name is probably an abbreviation, I also see a point after it)

The number (unit num.?): I can only see the two "5" numbers clearly, so that's a mystery for now.

"When I have a partial name for an officer and I know the unit, I search far and wide around the Internet and a couple times I've gotten lucky by finding an officer whose name matches both the unit and the letters of the name I have made out.

But without the unit it becomes very difficult.

One example: I have the Waffenrock of an Oberleutnant Zauleck. Reading the tailor tag in the pocket, I wasn't sure if the name was Zanleck or Zauleck, but I knew he was in Artillerie Regiment 103 from the numerals on the shoulder boards. I hit on a unit history of AR 103 and "boom!" there he was, listed in a officer roster as Zauleck. It was really nice confirming the exact name and confirming that no one had played with the tunic and added the unit numbers to it.
    "

I had a similar experience with an Iron Cross 2nd Class certificate later determined to be signed by Knightscross holder Generalmajor Otto Drescher (267th inf. div). The unit in question had temporarily been moved from one division to another so that threw off figuring out who may have signed the document. Additionally, Drescher had been promoted to a higher rank before he died in battle in the memel region. So that also threw me off because all records showed him as at a higher rank than at the time he signed. Because German cursive from that era looks so different I initially thought my guys name was Dreschig or Prescher or Preschig.

So my two advice on this would be:

Write down each possible combination of letters that writing could represent and search for those.

Also

If you find potential records of a person that may be it don't assume they will be the same rank as the jacket, although they certainly will be within logical range of that rank (i.e. he didnt become Fieldmarschall by some miracle).

Google some charts on old German cursive. There are different styles depending on where and when he went to school. There are different cursive styles depending on how old they were and what part of Germany the person got their education in.

You may find if you really analyze the letters they may say something different than you would initially assume. If you research it enough you can probably figure it out.

Here is a really handy set of German script styles.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help with German handwriting  

Possibly "Thode".

Here is a German website which might be able to help you:

Aachener Sutterlingruppe hilft bei "Ubersetzung"!

Do let us know how you get on

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast