Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need a letter translated that may have been my Grandfathers last.

Article about: Nice to read these war time stories thanks for the translation.

Default Need a letter translated that may have been my Grandfathers last.

Need a letter translated that may have been my Grandfathers  last.Need a letter translated that may have been my Grandfathers  last.Need a letter translated that may have been my Grandfathers  last.Need a letter translated that may have been my Grandfathers  last.This would be a tremendous help. I was told all my life that my Grandfather simply went missing (never said in action).
    Turns out after finding warrelics and being more nosy that is not the case. My Aunt told me that there were some men that came to the door a few years after they lost contact with him to say he had fallen in a battle. All she can remember is it was a large battle and that it was said the river turned red with blood and it was some were around Czechoslovakia. So I'm going to try and find out what I can about the date, place, his unit and what ever else I can.
    There are 2 letters ... #49 & #50 (God knows why someone would have let a child write on one). I'll post some pictures after this.

Thank you,
    Rudy
    I see they came up mixed. Letter #49 1st page is center right and second page is center left.
    You'll need to click to enlarge.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need a letter translated that may have been my Grandfathers  last.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Need a letter translated that may have been my Grandfathers last.

Andreas-HPL2008 will be your best bet if any one could help it would be him.

ERIC

Here is a picture of him alone and one were he is at the bottom far left. On back of the group picture is X/31 with a line above and below the X.

I know his rank but can anyone tell me more about the uniform or anything else?
    Also his last feldpost # that I am aware of.

Thanks,
    Rudy
    Need a letter translated that may have been my Grandfathers  last.Need a letter translated that may have been my Grandfathers  last.Need a letter translated that may have been my Grandfathers  last.

Ya, thanks. I'm kind of hoping he will stumble on this eventually.

If it were typed or block letters I could get through it myself but this writing is way over my head.

Rudy

Quote by Rudolf Karl View Post

If it were typed or block letters I could get through it myself but this writing is way over my head.

Rudy
    Like you said. I speak a fair amount of german but i cant tell anything much just afew words here and their i would do much better if it was in block did catch something about refernce to the SS i think. Good luck and nice pics.

ERIC

Hope you can get this Letter translated, There is However Lot of work needed is translating Hand written Text--Is it Old style German?) German Speaking Chap helped me out with Three pages of Typed Text this Took him over 24Hrs work to Complete, and this was half translated at the start. Maybe a University that's Local to you can help?

Quote by Rudolf Karl View Post

Rudy

It is not written in old German and it is easy to translate it by everyone who speaks good German. Also handwriting is OK. Sorry but my German is not too good, I can translate some parts of the letter, for example where was information about one kamrad who was killed by partisans etc. So seems to be pretty interesting information!

Here is the first letter (# 49); I will see to # 50 later on:

"Sunday, on 7 January 45.

My dearest one!

Yesterday, I received your nice letters of 27 and 28 December (stamped on 31 December - 1100 hrs.) and your New Year's Eve letter of 31 December (stamped on 2 January - 0900 hrs.), so I had received the latter within 4 days.
    It is nice that you have spent the evening of New Year's Eve in such a nice and jolly way with dance. What did Santa Claus bring you? Why do you have to be vexed with [...]; why does that not work out any more? You always used to be of one mind; I would have rather had you make an enemy of me instead! Well, many things in life change in the course of time. It is really awful that you have 3 hours of alarm every day and I fully believe you that you are suffering through mortal fear, as the blockbuster bombs have a devastating effect and your nerves are not getting better, either. What are they after in the areas of Rosenheim, Chiemsee, Lake Starnberg, Lake Ammersee *) etc.? Probably the production sites, but those are for the most part subterranean. Munich was attacked over several days around New Year's Day.
    I don't understand how [...], as an SS Officer, is not ashamed and does not even volunteer to go out and how it is that he does not need to prove himself on the front?
    You wrote: "[...]; oh, I do not know it anymore, you have to ask [...] about that." - ? What is that all about, did you forget something? I do not have any connections to Eugen, inform me of his number.
    I would be happy if had the shirts here as have only 1 long shirt and 1 short shirt; I also need footwraps as well.
    You only got mail from me after 16 days? And here, the letters arrive - [...] - but completely out of sequence? You have good control possibilities as all of them are numbered, why don't you do likewise so that I may know if one has gone missing. I do not think that mail gets lost as my letters are all arriving. At least you have never written me that one number or another is missing. Furthermore, all 4 x 100 and 3 x 500 gram parcels have arrived. Well, I [...] I am so naive and tell you, my [...] darling that I am not a coward about the mail and that all the parcels have arrived, albeit only late, but arrive they did and it turned out that I, with my childlike faith, was right after all.
    Yes, when it comes to food, we are doing very well here; we have not been provided with rations since 21 December, are getting 72,-- Crowns **) of food allowance per day and are buying geese, pigs, calves, potatoes etc. for ourselves, are doing our own cooking and receive a great deal in money. I have just sent you 1 kg of bacon; have fried 1 kg yesterday and this is now so easy. (1 kg = 80 Crowns) And I also drink 4 - 6 large eaggs at 6,-- Crowns apiece almost every evening. As self-caterers, we are not provided with any cigarette rations at all. What about the [...] tobacco; please make sure that it does not get moldy, store it dry.
    I too keep thinking about Guttstadt***) all the time; that was wonderful. My thougts are always with you and when I am out at night for 2 x 2 hours as a patrol leader, I see the same stars that you see and then I am happy, but I always start to long for you as well.
    In this new year, I kiss you even more dearly than before and wish you and the children all the best.
    Your Karl
    ."

*) all in Upper Bavaria
    **) the Czech currency
    ***) German name for the East Prussian town of Dobre Miasto, Poland

HPL2008 (sorry if there is a name attached and I don't know it),
    I'm so happy you were willing to do this. I already knew you were more than able.
    I feel I am getting closer.

I'm in your debt, thank you
    Rudy

Here is the other letter, # 50:

"Tuesday, on 9 January 45

My dearest one!

Yesterday, [...] and me [...] returned to the Company as we are from younger age groups and are to be put into action. So that means I am young after all.
    Yesterday, we stopped off at the inn where I had been invited to eat several times and had a few shooters. Then, some comrades came in as well and so, [...] several full glasses for good-byes, and so it came to pass that we had to be loaded into a car. However, it was to our great misfortune that the car had been loaded with pigs; I was lying there among the pigs and arrived in "clean" condition, [...] remembered nothing; was totally out! They carried me into the barracks and into my bed; that was at 1900 hrs. and by 2310 hrs. I had slept enough and was feeling quite well again. This morning, I was starting to [...]. I am not feeling any after-pains. It was just one big old
    Sau-erei and -ferei*
    "On Sunday, one comrade was killed in action in an anti-partisan operation and will be buried tomorrow.
    Today, I have done some shopping and will now take it to the office to have it mailed off. Contents: 1 garter belt (it's a 105 cm size and will be too large, but no other was available), 4 meters of silk fabric for shirts and pants, 8 garters, 3 toothbrushes and 1 spool of white [...]thread and 2 spools of white, 2 rolls of black [...]thread. Stockings were not available anymore, so now the town has been "sold out".
    Today, I got another nice letter from Gerti, she writes in such a funny and lively style that I am delighted in every letter.
    Beautiful Munich must be a sad sight, this is such a pity. For that and much else, the [...] will pay dearly.
    By now, you will have got my parcel of 16 December and the one of 30 December with 1 kg of bacon will take a while as well, because one has to calculate with some 3 - 4 weeks.
    And now, I will go to bed after I have washed up; I am tired.
    Very dear kisses and all the best.
    Your Karl.
    "

*) A reference both to the events of the evening and the somewhat unusual means of transporation back to the barracks, this is a little pun that is impossible to translate:
    Sau = Sow
    Sauerei = mess, disgrace, filth
    Sauferei = a binge or session of excessive drinking

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast