Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Picture of Hitler

Article about: Gentlemen, Need a couple of words translated on this picture. I think it starts, "Der Fuhrer in ...... maybe with generals? Not sure. Thanks in advance for your help.

Default Picture of Hitler

Gentlemen, Need a couple of words translated on this picture. I think it starts, "Der Fuhrer in ...... maybe with generals? Not sure.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Picture of HitlerPicture of Hitler

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Picture of Hitler
    P
    Many

?

it looks like that he is wearing a white duster / light over coat? mho.

Hi lonewolf.

I can't get the fourth word, but it looks like it starts with a T, something like T*AP**.

der Führer in t???
    Truppenübungsplatz
    Grafenwöhr

The leader in t???
    military training area
    Grafenwöhr

I found a little bit of information about the training area - In 1938 Adolf Hitler had the bunkers of the West Wall of France built at the Grafenwöhr military training area so that the soldiers could practice fighting or blowing them up.
    Der Truppenubungsplatz Grafenwohr - GRIN

Kind regards,

Will.

I spent many of my deployments to Grafenwöhr when I was stationed in Berlin.

Post WW2 it was a POW Camp mainly for the SS and the it was a US Army base where we conducted training. Large maneuver areas for tanks and other vehicles as well as large land areas for tactical infantry exercises..

Went there in both the summer and winter months..

Smitty

Thanks, Will and Smitty, I couldn't make out the fourth word. I'll take a closer picture and post it. I was there once and at the Panzer Kaserne! It was a great place. Toot you are right it looks like a lighter color overcoat. It is one of two pictures I have. Thanks again.

Willmore,

That's interesting, "In 1938 Adolf Hitler had the bunkers of the West Wall of France built at the Grafenwöhr military training area so that the soldiers could practice fighting or blowing them up."

In 1938 Hitler had the bunkers of the west wall built in Sennelager to practice assaults on! He also built concrete landing craft to practice beach landings, (according to one of the old EOD guys there who was there during the war it was for Sealion).

Here is a better picture of the back. Not sure what the other marks are?
    Thanks again!

Picture of Hitler

Hi lonewolf.

I was so focused on the German script that I didn't really pay them much attention, but looking at them now, the first word in pencil looks like it says Bayern. Looking at the German script again, I think Bayern could be the missing fourth word and I say this because Bayern is German for Bavaria and Grafenwöhr is in Bavaria.

Der Führer in Bayern
    Truppenübungsplatz
    Grafenwöhr

The leader in Bavaria
    military training area
    Grafenwöhr

Grafenwoehr Training Area - Wikipedia

Kind regards,

Will.

Yes I spent a lot of time there when I was also stationed in Berlin (1978-81) It might interest you to know that Graf is now one of the major bases in Germany, I seem to recall that there is a Stryker Brigade stationed there now. Saw a lot of changes when I was there in 2004-05 ut the tower if you remember it is still there!

Will and Sargetom thanks a lot. Graf was one of the largest training bases in Germany as I recall. I know when you talk to veterans about it they either hated it or hated it!! Don't remember any of them telling me they liked it.