Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 93 of 100 FirstFirst ... 43 83 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 ... LastLast

Post your death notices

Article about: That depends really Dagon, i can read the printed words on the death cards but actual handwritting can be a totally different matter, it can be quite difficult sometimes but i could try

Hi Steelhead.

Thank you for posting your example.

Here is the casualty card for Alois.

Name: Alois Fischbacher
    Birth Date: 22 April 1914
    Birth Place: Oberwindering Obb
    Military Unit: Stabsbatterie IV./Artillerie Regiment 137
    Death Date: 29 Dec 1941
    Death Place: Shrustali

His cause of death is noted as Gefallen: Fliegerbordkanone, Kopf (Killed in action: Aircraft gun/cannon, head)

Post your death notices

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Post your death notices
    P
    Many

Hi Willmore,

Thank you for that extra information and the casualty card. I was trying to search everywhere for a casualty record but I couldn't find anything myself

Matt

Quote by Steelhead10 View Post
    Hi Willmore,

Thank you for that extra information and the casualty card. I was trying to search everywhere for a casualty record but I couldn't find anything myself

Matt
    My pleasure Matt. It can be a bit hit and miss sometimes, for example I found the casualty card for Alois, but couldn't find an entry on the Volksbund for him.

Kind regards,

Will.
    Last edited by Willmore; 10-08-2023 at 04:23 PM.

Well, these death notices certainly are addictive. I found this example in the corner of a cabinet at my local antiques centre. There's just so much in terms of variation with these and all the research they open up.

Unfortunately I've not yet been able to scan this one in and I'm not back with my computer and scanner until the end of the week. Although I did snap a few photos before I had to go and I will update this once it is scanned in.

This example is a small booklet named to Hans Hallhuber, 34 Years old and died 28 March 1942. I've not been able to find Hans Hallhuber on Volksbund but I will keep searching for a casualty card when I can.

Matt

Edit: addng the scans for the card
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your death notices   Post your death notices  

Post your death notices   Post your death notices  

Last edited by Steelhead10; 10-11-2023 at 03:52 PM.

Hi Matt.

Here is the casualty card for Hans.

Name: Johannes Hallhuber (Johann Evangelist Hallhuber on the Volksbund)
    Birth Date: 12 January 1908
    Birth Place: Rottholf/Au
    Military Unit: Stab Panzer Division 20
    Death Date: 8 March 1942
    Death Place: Kriegslazarett (War hospital) 2/679 Minsk

His cause of death is noted as Granatsplitter Verletzung, Lungenentzündungen, starrkrampfung (Shrapnel injury, tetanus, pneumonia)

Post your death notices

Post your death notices

Johann Evangelist Hallhuber is buried in the military cemetery in Berjosa (Belarus)

During the re-interment activities in his original burial location, it was not possible to identify him without any trace of doubt, so he has been buried as an "unknown soldier" in the cemetery Berjosa.

Endgrablage: Block 14 - Unter den Unbekannten

1. Gebirgs Division (unknown unit within the Division) - Franz Klaunzler

Post your death notices

Name: Franz Klaunzler
    Date of birth: 26.10.1921
    Death/missing date: 01.10.1944
    Death/missing place: Russland
    Service rank: Obergefreiter

According to the information available to us, Franz Klaunzler has been missing since 01.10.1944.

The Volksbund have recorded the name and the personal details of the person named above in the memorial book of the cemetery Sologubowka, Russia.

We have three different missing dates from the Volksbund, denkmalprojekt and the death card - 01.10.1944, 00.11.1944 and 00.01.1945.

1. Gebirgsdivision (Missing persons, unexplained fates)
    1. Gebirgsdivision (Vermisste)

Beßarabia (mentioned on the death card) -
    Bessarabia - Wikipedia

5./Kompanie 3. Regiment Brandenburg - Alois Wagner

Post your death notices

Name: Alois Wagner
    Birth Date- 9 November 1923
    Birth Place: Burglengenfeld/Schwandorf
    Military Unit: 5./Kompanie. 3 Regiment Brandenburg
    Death Date: 7 June 1944
    Death Place: 6km Vallspietra
    Father: Alard Wagner

His cause of death is noted as Kopfschuß (head shot).

Post your death notices

Post your death notices

Alois Wagner rests at the war cemetery in Cassino, Italy.
    Final grave location: Block 12 Grave 336.

While researching Alois, I came across a write up about him on Facebook. (no source or proof is given, so it is impossible to verify if this is true).

Corporal Alois Wagner -

The story that emerged unfortunately did not have a happy ending, we are in Vallepietra where the corporal mentioned by local historical sources was a soldier who had decided not to fight. He took refuge in the mountains, where in Vallepietra, in the heart of the Simbruini mountains, the territory is vast and rich in hiding places and caves, precisely in favour of those who sought shelter from the battles of the nearby front of Monte Cassino.

On June 7, 1944, after small clashes between Germans and soldiers of the 8th Indian Division, the latter liberated the town from German occupation and all the soldiers who had deserted the war and former Allied prisoners who had escaped from prison camps descended on Vallepietra. Among these was the German corporal Alois Wagner who, as reported by the death document, was killed on June 7, 1944 on the Tagliata hill, about 6km from the centre of Vallepietra. In the area of Alois' death there had been a point of contact between the two armies, so it is assumed that he died as a result of the battle.

The news of the time was sometimes superficial because in those days there was great fear and confusion and therefore certain news of the events could be diverted, in fact after acquired news probably the poor Alois had been killed by some civilians for the reasons that it is difficult to know. After his death he was buried in the cemetery of Vallepietra and on 28 August 1959 his remains were taken to the military cemetery of Cassino (box 12, tomb no. 336). Alois was born on November 9, 1923 in Germany and belonged to the 3rd Brandenburg Regiment. The mourning that commemorates him has entered the collection and was found in Belgium.

Hunter World War II

Another Brandenburg Regiment death card along with some information about the unit. Posts #714 & #715 -

Post your death notices

Very interesting account on Alois Wagner Willmore. The information is very intriguing as it certainly appears to originate from sources familiar with the action in which he was killed.

14./Kompanie Grenadier Regiment 1049 - Xaver Dietl (Normandy Invasion casualty)

Post your death notices

Name: Xaver Dietl
    Birth Date: 23 October 1925
    Birth Place: Wilzing
    Military Unit: 14./Kompanie Grenadier Regiment 1049
    Death Date: 16 June 1944
    Death Place: Hauptverbandplatz, Sanitätskompanie 177 Invasionsfront

His cause of death is not noted and only states Tot eingeliefert (delivered dead)

Post your death notices

Post your death notices

Xaver Dietl is buried in the military cemetery in Orglandes/Manche, France.
    Endgrablage: Block 27 Reihe 4 Grab 148
    Xaver Dietl | Grabersuche-Online

77. Infanteriedivision -

Originally stationed just north of Rennes and south of Mont St. Michel, the 77. Infanterie Division was not initially affected by the Allied landings. However, they were immediately ordered into action as part of II Fallschirmjägerkorps and were one of the few divisions to make any progress towards the landing zones on 7 June 1944 from Brittany. They engaged mostly with the American paratroopers dropped in the southern Cotentin region. They were soon engaged helping defend Fortress Cherbourg after being cut off from the south by the American isolation of the Cotentin Peninsula at its base.
    Hobby

As of the 1st of May 1944, the 77. Infanterie Division had a personnel strength of 8,686 men. By July 10, 1944, the strength had dropped to 1,840 men.
    Lexikon der Wehrmacht

77.Infanterie-Division - Feldgrau

Map showing the approximate location of the 77. Infanterie Division on the 6th of June 1944 -

Post your death notices

Post your death notices

Another thought provoking sterbebild Wilmore, a young man of the soil, returned to it far sooner than perhaps deserved.

Page 93 of 100 FirstFirst ... 43 83 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 ... LastLast