Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 99 of 99 FirstFirst ... 49 89 95 96 97 98 99

Post your death notices

Article about: That depends really Dagon, i can read the printed words on the death cards but actual handwritting can be a totally different matter, it can be quite difficult sometimes but i could try

Hi Martin.

Ha ha ha, thanks Martin and that is the great thing about the forum, we can all help each other and add something to a thread.

No casualty card unfortunately. I have noticed that this often seems to be the case with those who fell in Normandy.

Volksbund entry -

Name: Alfred Hintersteininger
    Date of birth: 16.08.1925
    Place of birth: Altschwendt
    Death/missing date: 11.07.1944
    Death/missing place: Maltot
    Service rank: Sturmmann

Alfred Hintersteininger is buried in the military cemetery in St. Desir-de-Lisieux, France.
    Endgrablage: Block 2 Reihe 13 Grab 295

Find a grave website entry -

Alfred Hintersteininger (1925-1944) - Find a Grave Memorial

I had a search and found some related reading about the place where Alfred died.

Maltot in 1944 – Calvados – Battle of Normandy -

German Panzer units involved Schwere SS Panzer Abteilung 101, SS Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment 1, 1. S.S. Panzer-Division Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler, 10. S.S. Panzer-Division “Frundsberg”

Maltot in 1944 - Calvados - Battle of Normandy

7 and 8 -

Missions

II/SS Pz Rgt 12 Eterville July 10th 1944 -

II/SS Pz Rgt 12 Eterville July 10th 1944. - Axis History Forum

Operation Express-

Express | Operations & Codenames of WWII

Kind regards,

Will.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Post your death notices
    P
    Many

Default 1./Komanie Gebirgsjäger Battaillon 94 Johann Oichtner

Another Nice Gebirgsjager notice under the 4th Geb.Div.

Name: Johann Oichtner
    Birth Date: 12 Jun 1922
    Birth Place: Freilassing/Obb.
    Military Unit: 1./Kompanie Gebirgsjäger Bataillon 94
    Death Date: 2 Apr 1943)
    Death Place: 8 Km Südl. Annastasawskaja Unterrkuban

Post your death noticesPost your death notices
    Post your death notices

Lexikon der Wehrmacht - Gebirgs-Jäger-Bataillone

I believe this too says he was shot in the head (based on looking at the other card and examples). Is there a list of abbreviations for casualty cards? I know K is kopf or head, but what do the others indicate? Ie. shot, shrapnel ?
    Last edited by rheppler; 04-26-2024 at 11:50 PM.

Hi Rose.

Nice example, thank you for sharing it with us.

In this case his cause of death was Gefallen: A. G. K = Artllerie Geschuß Kopf (literally Fallen 'killed in action': Artillery shot head). I have see Geschoß (projectile) used too.

I haven't seen a list of abbreviations for this specifically, but here is one that shows the main ones (in German). It is ok, but there are a lot of variations of the abbreviations you will encounter.

https://www.bundesarchiv.de/DE/Conte...ublicationFile

Kind regards,

Will.

Thanks Will,

Thats another great page to add to my research file and for your help with finding a searching a few!

Quote by Willmore View Post
    Hi Martin.

Ha ha ha, thanks Martin and that is the great thing about the forum, we can all help each other and add something to a thread.

No casualty card unfortunately. I have noticed that this often seems to be the case with those who fell in Normandy.

Volksbund entry -

Name: Alfred Hintersteininger
    Date of birth: 16.08.1925
    Place of birth: Altschwendt
    Death/missing date: 11.07.1944
    Death/missing place: Maltot
    Service rank: Sturmmann

Alfred Hintersteininger is buried in the military cemetery in St. Desir-de-Lisieux, France.
    Endgrablage: Block 2 Reihe 13 Grab 295

Find a grave website entry -

Alfred Hintersteininger (1925-1944) - Find a Grave Memorial

I had a search and found some related reading about the place where Alfred died.

Maltot in 1944 – Calvados – Battle of Normandy -

German Panzer units involved Schwere SS Panzer Abteilung 101, SS Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment 1, 1. S.S. Panzer-Division Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler, 10. S.S. Panzer-Division “Frundsberg”

Maltot in 1944 - Calvados - Battle of Normandy

7 and 8 -

Missions

II/SS Pz Rgt 12 Eterville July 10th 1944 -

II/SS Pz Rgt 12 Eterville July 10th 1944. - Axis History Forum

Operation Express-

Express | Operations & Codenames of WWII

Kind regards,

Will.

Hi Will, goodmorning!

That is a lot more data than I had so far. Thanks! All these (almost) open sources nowadays make researching so much faster. Guess you also still know the time one had to write to several German instances and received the information back by 'paper' mail. I will dive into my old photo books; there is a chance I visited these places on one of the Normandy trips.

I will file this information together with the card, follow the links and do the searches. By the time I hang around here for a year, I might be an experienced detective?

Thanks for the lessons,

Martin

Good morning Martin.

My pleasure. It really does and I do remember a time before the internet (how times have changed). Looking at maps it seems that Alfred died close to Hill 112 which was the scene of heavy fighting, so that could be another area to research. You will be fine Martin, once you get used to research techniques you will be flying. For example, I searched using the place and date of Alfreds death and many links came up. We are lucky because the Battle of Normandy has been covered extensively so there is normally some information that can be found.

Have a great weekend,

Will.

Page 99 of 99 FirstFirst ... 49 89 95 96 97 98 99