Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 98 of 98 FirstFirst ... 48 88 94 95 96 97 98

Post your death notices

Article about: That depends really Dagon, i can read the printed words on the death cards but actual handwritting can be a totally different matter, it can be quite difficult sometimes but i could try

Gebirgsjäger Ersatz Bataillon 98 Mittenwald - Johann Stoib

Post your death notices

Name: Johann Stoib
    Birth Date: 8 January 1923
    Birth Place: Hagelmühle Rohrdorf Baÿern
    Military Unit: Gebirgsjäger Ersatz Bataillon 98 Mittenwald
    Death Date: 25 October 1942
    Death Place: 22.45 Reserve Lazarett Dresden I

His cause of death is noted as Verstorben: Herz und Kreislaufstörungen (Deceased: Heart and circulatory disorders)

Post your death notices

There is no Volksbund entry for Johann.

Gebirgsjäger Ersatz Bataillon 98 was mobilized on 26 August 1939 in Mittenwald, Wehrkreis VII. The battalion was subordinate to the 157 Division and provided replacement troops for 1. Gebirgs Division

Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon 98 - Lexikon der Wehrmacht.

Standort Mittenwald -

Gebirgs-Jäger-Regiment 98 - Lexikon der Wehrmacht

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Post your death notices
    P
    Many

?

An interesting card and more interesting unit for Hermann Haslach. I believe there has been other cards posted here for avalanche victims. I have just recently seen another card to a soldier lost in an avalanche.

The other card, for Johann Krutzenbichler, poses that his death was probably very gruesome. The brutal nature of a hand-to-hand encounter.

Hi Ben.

It is an interesting unit and I would hazard a guess that because of his rank, Hermann Haslach was an instructor. It shows how dangerous training for soldiers can be. I totally agree with you about Johann Kreutzenbichler and the way he fell. I would imagine at times that fighting on the eastern front would have resembled that of the trenches during first war world.

Kind regards,

Wil..

Nice cards Will. The avalanche is another unfortunate accident like card we talked about, Alois Ritzer dying on his way home from the front. I wonder if other soldiers died with him in the avalanche. Sad story. The fellow stabbed to death was no doubt gruesome. Are accidents common?

Quote by rheppler View Post
    Nice cards Will. The avalanche is another unfortunate accident like card we talked about, Alois Ritzer dying on his way home from the front. I wonder if other soldiers died with him in the avalanche. Sad story. The fellow stabbed to death was no doubt gruesome. Are accidents common?
    Thanks Rose. I agree, a very unfortunate accident for sure. Alois Ritzer was a very sad one, especially as he was likely looking forward to being home and safe. I looked for other casualties from the avalanche incident and Hermann appears to be the only one. It is gruesome and as Ben says it shows the brutal nature of hand to hand combat. Accidents are very common and you see all sorts. Accidental gun shots, munitions explosions, crashes, being run over, killed by a horse, alcohol poisoning, drownings, falls etc etc. Illnesses and alignments are a common cause. But I think the strangest one I have seen is where someone died due to a spider bite.

Kind regards,

Will.

Page 98 of 98 FirstFirst ... 48 88 94 95 96 97 98