Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 109 of 109 FirstFirst ... 9 59 99 105 106 107 108 109
Results 1,081 to 1,089 of 1089

Post your death notices

Article about: That depends really Dagon, i can read the printed words on the death cards but actual handwritting can be a totally different matter, it can be quite difficult sometimes but i could try

Hey Martin, Nice cards! I couldnt find anything on Rupert.

Otto Zeller
    Date of birth 07.01.1917
    Place of birth Ruhpolding
    Death/missing date 01.09.1942
    Death/missing place Ostw. Kalkolowo
    Service rank Obergefreiter

Post your death notices
    Death from a direct hit.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Post your death notices
    P
    Many

?

Feldwebel Rupert Geier of 4./Gebirgsjäger Regiment 100

Post your death notices
    Name: Rupert Geier
    Date of birth: 17.7.1914
    Place of birth: Wöllersdorf/Altötting
    Death/missing date: 17.6.1943
    Death/missing place: 4km ostwärts Sigolowa/Mga

Gefallen: artillerie geschuß herz

He was awarded the medal for serving in the east during first winter, that is the Ostmedaille. The last two medals listed are occupation medals. One for the Anschluss- the 1938 occupation of Austria, and the other for the 1938 occupation of the Sudetenland. These are aside from the EK.I, EK.II, IAB, VWA in Schwarz, and the Bulgarian Order of Bravery III. Klasse with swords (it appears).

Well, how about that. I was searching for the wrong spelling of his lastname. Ha.

Makes two of us. I read Beier. No problem reading the old German script, but the capitals occasionally give me trouble!
    Thanks for all the information and help, Gentlemen. It will be neatly filed with the cards.

Default Schubert, Wilhelm Otto

Any help with this guy would be greatly appreciated, not a death card but a notice. -Rose

Post your death noticesPost your death notices

Hi Rose.

I am confident this is him due to the dates and his wife's name on the bottom rear of the green casualty card.

Name: Otto Schubert
    Birth Date: 30 October 1913
    Birth Place: Zahna Wittenberg
    Military Unit: Stab./Infanterie Regiment 17 or Stab II./Bataillon Infanterie Regiment 17
    Death Date: 29 May 1940
    Death Place: Zandvoorde

His cause of death is noted as Gefallen: Artillerie Geschuß Rücken (Killed in action: Artillery shot back)

Post your death notices

Post your death notices

Post your death notices

Post your death notices

Otto Schubert is buried in the military cemetery in Lommel, Belgium.
    Endgrablage: Block 41 Grab 194.

Kind regards,

Will.

?

Good find and points made in favor of information on the card, Will. If those casualty cards point to the correct man, then I was looking at it in the wrong way. As a Gefreiter in a Totenkopfstandarte, I was looking for someone in the SS TK/ one of the three SS Totenkopf Regiments as a possibility. Interestingly when I looked up Infanterie Regiment 17 I see they wore the Brunswick Totenkopf above the cockade on their feldmütze. They were a ‘Totenkopfstandarte’ in convention. Coincidence or another example of unique wording used to describe units, medals, or locations seen on these cards? On another note I must be confused because the card mentions the Polenfeldzug but Otto Schubert has fallen at Zandvoorde in Belgium?

Post your death notices

It sure is an interesting one Ben and to be honest I totally missed the Totenkopfstandarte line. I just focused on the name and date, but would have gone after an SS man otherwise. That is great information about Infanterie Regiment 17 using that style of Totenkopf, I didn't know that this was the case so have learnt something new. The Polandfeldzuge basically says he survived the Polish campaign and sacrificed his life in the west, so this would explain him falling in Belgium.

im blühenden Alter von 26.5 Jahren nach glücklich* überstandenem Polenfeldzuge am 28 mai bei den Schweren Kämpfen im Westen sein junges Leben für Volk and Vaterland opferte

at the blooming age of 26.5 years, after fortunately* surviving the Polish campaign, sacrificed his young life for the people and the fatherland on 28 May in the heavy fighting in the West

Looking at glücklich, it can be translated as -

Happy/happily, lucky/through luck, fortunate etc.

GLUCKLICH in English - Cambridge Dictionary

Great information guys. Thanks to you both. I had thought that was him as well but like Ben, I was looking for SS and so I wasn't sure. The dates were what kept me thinking him.

Page 109 of 109 FirstFirst ... 9 59 99 105 106 107 108 109