Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

POW Letters USSR

Article about: These came my way today. I meekly ask if these could be translated? if not they are still a visual enjoyment.

Default POW Letters USSR

These came my way today.
    I meekly ask if these could be translated? if not they are still worth visual for all.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement POW Letters USSR
    P
    Many

I guess these are too heart breaking. One I see is addressed to his Wife! and can understand the heartbreak, well to a small degree... there was a time my Wife and I did not know for months that we could ever join together here in Australia!
    Last edited by reneblacky; 07-06-2018 at 12:01 PM. Reason: grammer

Last edited by reneblacky; 07-06-2018 at 11:43 AM. Reason: double post unknown reason

POW Letters USSRPOW Letters USSRHi Rene, I wanted to make sure I still had mine and could reference it. This came out of a large lot from an estate and for the longest time I could find little about these letters or really anyone who actively discussed them. As you can see mine is illegible and I am not sure as to this mans fate. I cannot imagine having to jam as much as possible about my current state on card like this after being held captive for 4 years after a war. Regardless of war or side its horrific to even attempt to think about. You or the forum may find this link interesting Online database of Soviet WWII prisoners opens to public - The Local it links to news article which points to

"Saxony's Ministry of Science in Dresden, the internet archive includes some 700,000 records of World War II prisoners, most of whom died after their capture by German soldiers. A second database contains the names and birth dates of more than 10,000 German citizens convicted by Soviet military tribunals during and after the war. Many of those convicted have since been rehabilitated by the Russian government."

It is far from perfect or comprehensive but maybe forum users can us it as another tool in the research toolbox
    Hope all is well,
    GP

Cheers for your post GP, very helpful