Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Request information on German Uboat Crewman

Article about: I’m hoping to find any information on the Author of this letter. His name was Manfred Wiesner. He served in the Kriegsmarine as a Matrose II. Within the 8.1./U.L.D. ( 1 ULD Unterseeboots-L

Default Request information on German Uboat Crewman

I’m hoping to find any information on the Author of this letter. His name was Manfred Wiesner. He served in the Kriegsmarine as a Matrose II. Within the 8.1./U.L.D. ( 1 ULD Unterseeboots-Lehrdivision). Based on the letter, it looks that he served on a Uboat. He was in Pillau at the time of writing it. Any help is appreciated.

The letter reads:

“Pillau, the 3.3.1943

My dear Leni!

Just now a mate brought me the pictures, and so I want to write you a few words as well. Thank you very much for your lovely letter. Wanted to answer right away, but I had to wait for the pictures. They still show the same guy as the other ones. He just is not smiling. Not without cause, because back then it was raining and snowing. But that can happen sometimes. Today in a week will most likely be the last day we stay in Pillau. But the last days will surely be quite fun. The farewell party will turn the whole place upside down. You must be a little vagabond, if you partake in such jokes. But such girls are also delicate. I too take part in all kinds of things. But only when we go on land. But even when I was a civilian, there were all sorts of things happening. It is not like this with the Navy, at least not this bad. Yes, spending some time with the Navy would be good for you, you would learn all sorts of things. You can even learn how to climb up the hawser. But this is nothing for girls.

Neither is swimming in the local waters. One can almost freeze in there. But thank god, it does not happen often. Of course, we wear a suit. Sadly, I can not tell about these things in detail. Yes, my dear Leni, what is your favorite song? You have several, I would say. But my favorite is still "Lili Marleen", even though it is quite old. We still play it often on our portable radio. You write that for you, life is getting more serious again. It seems you have a special task. Did you let the food get burned yet? Let us hope for the best. Hopefully, the bells of victory will toll soon, that would be wonderful. But still, it won't stop there for the submarines. They drive on. I want to close now, it is getting late.

Dearly,
    Manfred”

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Request information on German Uboat Crewman
    P
    Many

Hi JB.

Another interesting letter, thank you for sharing it with us.

I checked the Volksbund and there is one Manfred Wiesner, who died in 1946. Also I couldn't find anything on Ancestry.

1. Unterseeboots-Lehrdivision -
    uboat.net - Boats - Flotillas - 1. ULD.

Kind regards,

Will.

Hi Will,

No problem. And I saw that as well. Wasn’t sure if it was the same person or not. I guess there’s no way to know. Thank you!

Good day,
    JB

Couldn't find him on rosters of Uboat crewmen, but the list is not complete. Another great letter find and another that raises more questions and the curiosity, but sadly leaves so many things unanswered.