Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

RK & Gold Wound Badge Citations

Article about: One item I was able to tick off the collecting bucket list this year was acquiring a prelim RK citation. I would have been happy for an example to anyone, but to have obtained the citation f

Default RK & Gold Wound Badge Citations

One item I was able to tick off the collecting bucket list this year was acquiring a prelim RK citation. I would have been happy for an example to anyone, but to have obtained the citation for a significant General was more than I expected.

The RK & Gold Wound Badge citations are for eventual General der Artillerie Erich Marcks. In 1940 he was tasked with drawing up a draft proposal for what would become Operation Barbarossa and during Op Barbarossa he commanded 101.leichte Infanterie-Division which was part of 17.Armee in Heeresgruppe Süd. On 26th June 1941 he was severely wounded which resulted in him having his left leg amputated.

RK & Gold Wound Badge Citations RK & Gold Wound Badge Citations

It was during this period that he was awarded the Knights Cross. It was awarded for the performance of his division during the opening days of Barbarossa, especially the crossing of the San river northeast of Przemysl and the subsequent battle against a Soviet bunker line at Medyka.

During the period of his recovery, he commanded first 337.Infanterie-Division and then LXXXVII.Armeekorps which were both based in France.
    On 1st August 1943 he was placed in command of LXXXIV.Armeekorps that was responsible for what would become the D-Day sector.

Marcks was one of the few senior officers who believed that an invasion in Normandy was a possibility and upon the Allies landing ordered a counterattack which ultimately failed.
    Here he is in the film The Longest Day, played by the German actor Richard Münch.

The Longest Day Erich Marcks - YouTube

On 12th June 1944 while touring the front northwest of Saint-Lô, his staff car came under attack from Allied aircraft and Marcks was hit by a 20mm shell. Despite his driver dragging him to a ditch, the injury was too severe and Marcks died of blood loss. He was posthumously awarded the Knights Cross with Oakleaves and now lies buried in the cemetery at Marigny - Block 2, Row 38, Grave 1478.

The following documents and clippings are from his files in the Bundesarchiv (PERS 6/269 & PERS 6/300187)

RK & Gold Wound Badge CitationsRK & Gold Wound Badge Citations

RK & Gold Wound Badge CitationsRK & Gold Wound Badge Citations

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement RK & Gold Wound Badge Citations
    P
    Many

Hello Hucks.

Great addition to your collection, thank you for sharing it with us.

Kind regards,

Will.

MAP
    ?

Seemed like a front line commander. Excellent grouping
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

What a fantastic pick up , the death of Marcks whilst Commanding the 84th Korps in Normandy was of huge advantage to the Allies following D Day he was the most able Korps Commander in the whole 7th Armee !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Those really are a couple of significant pieces of history hucks216, I dare not guess how much they set you back but what pieces to be custodian of!