Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Signature of SS volunteer Gerardus Mooyman

Article about: Hello members, I have been offered this signature, and will write down some arguments. I am talking about the bottom one in the picture. The top one is there to compare. First of all, it say

?

Default Signature of SS volunteer Gerardus Mooyman

Hello members,

I have been offered this signature, and will write down some arguments.
    I am talking about the bottom one in the picture. The top one is there to compare.

About the top signature: This one has been lightened up, so that the signature is more visible. The original one is slightly darker, it is a Hoffmann picture.

On to the bottom one.
    First of all, it says "Mooijman", which could be a correct way of writing. It's a Dutch surname variant.
    But, we see that Gerardus' surname is written as "Mooyman" most of the time.

The written rank is correct for it to be wartime. He was a rottenführer for a short time.

The handwriting has some similarities..

The bottom one is a clipped signature. The paper looks old. It is not mine, but from a man who has "some" more signatures.
    He gave me the green light to post it here.

So, what do you guys think? I appreciate your time and effort.

Thanks

Last edited by Hravn; 07-30-2020 at 01:26 PM. Reason: additional info

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Signature of SS volunteer Gerardus Mooyman
    P
    Many

?

Extremely difficult to say. As a Dutch, it is more likely to use the dots on the ij than not. Especially in former times. If authentic, this is very interesting piece. What is his price if I may ask?

?

I wonder if anyone knows / has more examples..!

MAP
    ?

One is written in pencil and the other in what looks like a felt tip pen. To me, that leads me to believe that the top one (felt tip pen) was signed decades later.

Signatures change over time. You really need to try and find a signature from the same period if possible.

I'm not opining on authenticity. Will leave that to the professionals. That said, for what it is worth, I see little similarity, but again, the paper, the type of writing instrument and time all play a part.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

I talked with the seller about this, the first one seems post war indeed. It was sold as a wartime signature. Maybe the card is?

If the second one is original, it is done by a young man. Maybe that is why both signatures dont look too simillar. The first one being post war. At least 9 years after the end, the permanent marker was invented in 52.

?

Hravn, even though Mooijman could have signed it after the war ( he lived till the 80's) , I doubt that he gave out autographs. He led a sheltered life away from the public. He also rejected nazism 100% after the war and gave away his knights cross to a random Dutch collector... Food for thought...

?

Vocht,

Some believe he lost his original RK shortly after the war. But, is that the truth..? I don't know.

I do know dat he was interviewed by a Dutch magazine called REVU, 18 years after his release from prison.

Found another picture, but I don't believe it is the signature from Mooyman.

Wim Saris once interviewed Mooyman, and also received 15 signed photographs from him. Wim confided in me that Mooyman told him that the Knights Cross he gave to a collector was a replica, and his own that was awarded to him he threw away.

Cheers,
    Steve

Further information from Wim this morning. He sent me this picture of Mooyman which he would like me to share on the forum. It is one of 15 that he had signed during his interview with Mooyman in the 1970's.

Cheers,
    Steve.

?

Steve,

Very nice, thank you and thanks to Wim.

This confirms that he signed using "Mooy" as well, Like the previous example.

Maybe he just used "G" in his young years, and switched to his full initials when he grew older?

I guess it remains a gamble.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast