Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Small Luftwaffe Signals Photo Album

Article about: I have a small photo album that I obtained recently, and with no history behind it at all, and then looking closer at one of the photos in the album, and I noticed that one of the photos had

Default Small Luftwaffe Signals Photo Album

I have a small photo album that I obtained recently, and with no history behind it at all, and then looking closer at one of the photos
    in the album, and I noticed that one of the photos had a shot of a :Luftwaffe soldier with a push bike, and written on the rear mudguard
    was the Feldpost Number (L49702) and that gave the secret of the unit away, it is Luftnachrichten Regiment 203. The 14th Kompanie was
    in the III Abteilung at Rethel, France.

(Rethel is a commune in the Ardennes department in northern France. It is a sub-prefecture and third-most important city and economic center in the department.

It is situated on the river Aisne, near the northern border of Champagne and 37 km from Reims. Its inhabitants are called Rethélois.)

L49702
    (2.1.1940-11.3.1943) 14. Kompanie Luftnachrichten-Regiment 203,
    (25.11.1944-8.5.1945) 25.1.1945 gestrichen.

and from the internet (via Michael Holm's website)....

Luftnachrichten-Regiment 203

Kommandeure:

Oberst Eberhard Hettler, 10.42 - ?
    Stab:

Formed 1.10.42 in Metz, from the old Stab/Luftnachrichten-Regiment 203.

Disbanded 9.44.

I. Abteilung:

Formed 1.10.42 in Metz, from the old Stab I./Luftnachrichten-Regiment 203. On 2.9.44 renamed Stab/Luftnachrichten-Abteilung 104.

1. Fernsprech- und Fernschreib-Betriebs-Kompanie in Metz from the old 1./Luftnachrichten-Regiment 203; disbanded 9.44
    2. Funk-Kompanie in Metz from the old 2./Luftnachrichten-Regiment 203; disbanded 9.44
    3. Flugmelde-Auswerte- und Betriebs-Kompanie in Metz from 1./Luftnachrichten-Abteilung 64; disbanded 9.44
    4. Telegrafen-Bau-Kompanie in St. Dizier from the old 3./Luftnachrichten-Regiment 203; disbanded 9.44
    5. Funkleit-Kompanie at Morhange (Stellung "Medea") (new); disbanded 9.44
    6. Funkleit-Kompanie at (?) (Stellung "Milan") (new); disbanded 9.44
    25. Technische-Kompanie in Metz from the old 4./Luftnachrichten-Regiment 203; from 9.44 attached to Luftnachrichten-Regiment 233
    II. Abteilung:

Formed 1.10.42 in Florennes from the old Stab III./Luftnachrichten-Regiment 203. Disbanded 2.9.44.

7. Flugmelde-Leit Kompanie at Malonne (Stellung 7A) (new); disbanded 9.44
    8. Flugmelde-Leit Kompanie at Onhaye(?) (Stellung 7B) (new); disbanded 9.44
    9. Flugmelde-Leit Kompanie at Fumay(?) (Stellung 7C) (new); disbanded 9.44
    10. Flugmelde-Leit Kompanie at Rockenberg bei Butzbach (Stellung "Nachtigall") (new); 10.43 renamed 10./Luftnachrichten-Regiment 215
    11. Flugmelde-Leit Kompanie at Birkenfeld/Nahe (Stellung "Kauz") (new); 10.43 renamed 11./Luftnachrichten-Regiment 215
    12. Flugmelde-Leit Kompanie at Erlenkopf bei Eusserthal (Stellung "Bergziege") (new); 10.43 renamed 12./Luftnachrichten-Regiment 215
    10. - 12./203 was reformed 10.43:

10. Flugmelde-Leit Kompanie at Seurre(?) (Stellung "Dromedar") (see below); disbanded 9.44
    11. Flugmelde-Leit Kompanie at Buxy(?) (Stellung "Buchfink") (see below); disbanded 9.44
    12. Flugmelde-Leit Kompanie at Macon (Stellung "Maulwurf") (see below); disbanded 9.44
    III. Abteilung:

Formed 1.10.42 in Guignoncourt. Disbanded 9.44.

13. Flugmelde-Leit Kompanie at Signy l'Abbaye (Stellung 8A) (new); disbanded 9.44
    14. Flugmelde-Leit Kompanie at Rethel (Stellung 8B) (new); disbanded 9.44
    15. Flugmelde-Leit Kompanie at Betheniville(?) (Stellung 8C) (new); disbanded 9.44
    16. Flugmelde-Leit Kompanie at Seurre(?) (Stellung "Dromedar") (new); disbanded 10.43 or renamed 10./203
    17. Flugmelde-Leit Kompanie at Buxy (Stellung "Buchfink") (new); disbanded 10.43 or renamed 11./203
    18. Flugmelde-Leit Kompanie at Macon (Stellung "Maulwurf") (new); disbanded 10.43 or renamed 12./203
    Data for 16. - 18./203 are uncertain.

IV. Abteilung:

Formed 1.10.42 in St. Dizier. Disbanded 9.44.

19. Flugmelde-Leit Kompanie at Vanault-les-Dames(?) (Stellung 9A) (new); disbanded 9.44
    20. Flugmelde-Leit Kompanie at Vitry-le-Francois(?) (Stellung 9B) (new); disbanded 9.44
    21. Flugmelde-Leit Kompanie at Joinville(?) (Stellung 9C) (new); disbanded 9.44
    22. Flugmelde-Leit Kompanie at (?) (Stellung "?"); 1.44 renamed 21./Luftnachrichten-Regiment 200
    23. Flugmelde-Leit Kompanie at (?) (Stellung "?"); 1.44 renamed 4./Luftnachrichten-Regiment 200
    24. Flugmelde-Leit Kompanie at (?) (Stellung "?"); 1.44 renamed 16./Luftnachrichten-Regiment 200
    A V. Abteilung was formed 1.44 under the 4th Jagd-Division; no details, disbanded 9.44

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© 1997-2005 Michael Holm
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Small Luftwaffe Signals Photo Album   Small Luftwaffe Signals Photo Album  

Small Luftwaffe Signals Photo Album   Small Luftwaffe Signals Photo Album  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Small Luftwaffe Signals Photo Album
    P
    Many

Some more photos from the album, it looks like the little album was hand made, and from Christmas 1943..

I don't know what the medal is that is being awarded (Luftschutz perhaps??) and the rank of 'kafu' (with umlauts over the u) is unknown to me also...

Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Small Luftwaffe Signals Photo Album   Small Luftwaffe Signals Photo Album  

Small Luftwaffe Signals Photo Album  

The abbreviation "Kafü" could be for Kameradschaftsführerin...

Bob

Hi Bob.

Really interesting album, thank you for sharing it with us.

KaFü could also be an abbreviation for Kantinenführer (Canteen Leader).

German soldier slang -
    Verzeichniseutsch/Soldatensprache – Wiktionary

Kind regards,

Will.

Thanks Will, yeah Kantinenführer is a possibility too, appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Cheers

Bob

Nice album Bob, thank you for posting. The medaille does look similar to a Luftschutz Medaille. However I'm not sure the ribbon colour matches, although to be fair it isn't easy to be sure from the photos. I wonder if the three ladies in #1 would be so keen to be seen on this young mans arm once the Allies came to town?