Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS Stammkarten

Article about: Gentlmen, Here is what I think is a recruitment card for an SS Mann in 1942. Think his name is Schissler with the SS Kav Brigada. If you can help with anything else I can't make our it would

Default SS Stammkarten

Gentlmen,
    Here is what I think is a recruitment card for an SS Mann in 1942. Think his name is Schissler with the SS Kav Brigada.
    If you can help with anything else I can't make our it would be great.
    Thanks as always for your assistance.

SS StammkartenSS StammkartenSS StammkartenSS Stammkarten

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Stammkarten
    P
    Many

?

Born on February 15, 1915 in Magyarbóly, Hungary. I would say the name of the fellow is Josef Schissler, in which case I found that there were two men named József Schiszler (Hungarian spelling) from Magyarbóly that fought during the war. Magyarbóly is a small village today with less than 900 inhabitants.

Hello lonewolf.

There are some bits I am not sure on, but this is what I have.

SS Stammkarten Abscrift (SS Personnel Department personal records master card copy)

1 - Bewerber seit (Applicant since) 1.5.42

2 - Einheit, Name und Vorname (unit, surname and first name)
    Artillerie Regiment./SS - Kav Brigade
    Stabsbatterie, II Abteilung
    Josef Schissler

3 -
    a) Geburtstag: (Date of birth) 15.2.15
    b) Geburtsort: (Place of birth) Magyarboly
    c) religiöses Bekenntnis: (Religious confession) evgl = evangelisch (Protestant)

4 - erlernter Beruf: (Learned occupation) Bauer? (Farmer?)

5.a - (Marital status)
    Led = Ledig (Single)

6 - Wohnort: (Place of residence)
    Magyarboly. No 106, Kreis Baranya (Magyarbóly, is a village in Baranya county, Hungary)
    Mutter Elizabeth Schissler
    Magyarboly Map - Baranya County, Hungary - Mapcarta

7 - Grösse: (Size/Height)
    175cm

10 - Zivilstrafen (civil penalties, maybe criminal record?)
    Kleine? (None?)

11 -
    erkennungsmarke no 134, 5./Rekr. dep d W-SS Debrica
    Blutgruppe A (Blood group A)

Rekt. dep. d. W-SS = Rekrutendepot der Waffen SS (Recruit depot)

This tag was issued when he undertook his training at the Waffen-SS Dębica training area (Truppenübungsplatz Debica)

SS Debica
    SS Debica - Axis History Forum
    Truppenübungsplätze
    SS-Truppenubungsplatz Heidelager - Wikipedia

25 - Vereidigung (Swearing in) 12.7.1942

28 - Stammeinheit: (First unit) 5./Rekr. dep d W-SS Debrica

ab 1.7.42 zu II./Art. Rgt. SS. Kav. Brig (on 1.7.1942 to II./Artillerie Regiment SS Kavallerie Brigade)
    ab 1.8.42

Willmore, that is great thanks!! You guys are great at know what these things are. So this is an transfer order moving him from training to a unit? Haven't seen one before so very interesting! Thanks again!

No worries lonewolf.

This would be part of the soldiers official file which documented all kinds of things related to his military service. It is not a transfer order as such, but was a means of recording and updating which unit a soldier was posted to etc.

I am not sure if this would have been added to his Wehrstammbuch.
    Wehrstammbuch

I will be the first to admit that I am not up to speed with SS formations, so I am happy to be corrected with the below information.

So his first unit was a training unit - 5./Kompanie Rekrutendepot der Waffen SS located at Debrica, then it looks like he was assigned to II./Artillerie Regiment SS Kavallerie Brigade. I think the II would refer to second Abteilung which contained two artillery batteries.

SS-Artillerie-Regiment of the SS-Kavallerie-Division
    Die SS-Kavallerie-Division der Wehrmacht

8. SS-Kavallerie-Division Florian Geyer
    8. SS-Kavallerie-Division Florian Geyer

Kind regards,

Will.

Will,
    Thanks again.
    This is the first one I have had. Some of it is hard to read but with your help it is meaning more! I think it is interesting that he was sworn in in 12-7-42 then assigned to the SS Kavallerie Brigada before it was reformed into a Division on 21-6-42. I have to start my research and find out more about him. Maybe there is something, hope so! Researching is half the fun!!

My pleasure lonewolf.

It is a really nice addition to your collection and very interesting too. It shows how young men from all over Europe joined or were forced to join the German forces. Josef himself would have been classed as Volksdeutsche (people whose language and culture had German origins but who did not hold German citizenship) and many men in this category were drafted to bolster SS units (9000 Romanians were drafted into the SS-Kavallerie-Division in 1942).

I totally agree with you about researching pieces being half the fun and hopefully there will be some information that can be uncovered. I did check to see if there was a Casualty card or Volksbund entry for him and couldn't find anything, so it looks like he might have survived the war.

Here are a couple more links that may be useful in your quest.

SS-Kavallerie-Brigade Erkennungsmarke.
    SS-Kavallerie-Brigade - A.R.

The SS Cavalry Brigade and its operations in the Soviet Union, 1941-1942
    https://etheses.whiterose.ac.uk/2911/1/Dissertation.pdf

Intrestingly, Brigadeführer Hermann Fegelein (brother-in law to Eva Braun) was a senior officer in the SS Kavallerie -
    WWW.WAFFEN-SS.NO "8. SS-Kavallerie-Division Florian Geyer"

Kind regards,

Will.

Will,

Found this organization and was wondering if the II is the 2nd Artillery Battalion? Since the form is dated 1942 was thinking this might be the case. What do you think? Not sure what (cos) is?

8th SS Cavalry Division "Florian Geyer":

Formed in September 1942 from the SS Cavalry Brigade by the formation of a third regiment, the artillery and support troops.
    The division was entitled the SS Cavalry Division and had:
    1st SS Cavalry Regiment (6 sqns) (formed 1941)
    2nd SS Cavalry Regiment (6 sqns) (formed 1941)
    3rd SS Cavalry Regiment (6 sqns) (newly raised)
    SS Bicycle Reconnaissance Battalion (3 sqns)
    SS Panzer Jäger Battalion (2 cos) (newly raised)
    SS Sturmgeschütz Battery (newly raised)
    SS Artillery Regiment
    1st Bn (1st,2nd,3rd Cos)
    2nd Bn (4th,5th,6th Cos) (newly raised)
    SS Pioneer Battalion (2 cos )(newly raised)
    SS Flak Battalion (3 batteries) (newly raised)
    SS Signals Battalion (2 cos) (raised 1942)

Hi there.

You are right lonewolf. The German term would be Abteilung meaning section, detachment, department, battalion and the II refers to the second Abteilung.

https://www.leslufteaux.com/images/p...reviations.pdf

NOTES: The word Abteilung has other meanings as well, for example:
    - Initially a Vermessungs-Abteilung was a company sized survey unit until mid-1941, when it was expanded to battalion size.
    - When used within the context of a headquarters, it means section.
    - When used within the context of military (or civilian) bureaucracies, it means department.
    - When used in conjunction with trains, it means compartment.

OKH Abbreviations

II Abteilung had a Stab (Staff) and two Batteries (5th and 6th batteries) of Artillery, so Josef would likely have been in the 5th or 6th battery.

Here is how the SS-Artillerie-Regiment (Kav.Div.) was organised on 00.12.1942.

I. Abteilung
    -Kommandeur
    -Stab (Staff)
    -1. Batterie
    -2. Batterie
    -3. Batterie
    -4. Batterie
    II. Abteilung
    -Kommandeur
    -Stab (Staff)
    5. Batterie
    6. Batterie
    III. Abteilung
    -Kommandeur
    -Stab (Staff)
    7. Batterie

Das SS-Artillerie-Regiment 8 der 8. SS-Kavallerie-Division „Florian Geyer“

Cos would be short for Company/Companies (Kompanie/Kompanien in German). sqns is short for squadron/squadrons (Schwadron/Schwadronen in German).
    Last edited by Willmore; 04-10-2022 at 11:10 PM.

Thanks Will,
    It is something I have not seen before and is very interesting!