Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stalingrad 23.12.42 feldpost

Article about: Hi all, been looking for a decent Stalingrad feldpost for a while and I just received this one. It's from fp# 27838 and the the stamp is dated 23.12.42. As I've gathered this should be from

Default Stalingrad 23.12.42 feldpost

Hi all, been looking for a decent Stalingrad feldpost for a while and I just received this one.

Stalingrad 23.12.42 feldpostStalingrad 23.12.42 feldpost

It's from fp# 27838 and the the stamp is dated 23.12.42. As I've gathered this should be from a Gefreiter (judging by what seems to be a "Gefr." abbreviation on the back) from the 2 Kompanie of Pionier-Bataillon 305 that was under the 305th ID fighting in the Stalingrad kessel at the time.
    It also came with contents with origins/authenticity that I'm not entirely sure of... typewritten (strange imo for a soldier in this particularly dire situation) on very fragile and thin paper with a sort of "waxy" feel to it, if that makes sense at all. I can post it if needed for opinions.

Any comments/remarks on this feldpost would be appreciated... I'm also struggling to make out what the front and back of the envelope actually says

Andy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stalingrad 23.12.42 feldpost
    P
    Many

Default Re: Stalingrad 23.12.42 feldpost

By all means please post the letter...I have two Stalingrad letters in my collection, one of which is typed as the sender was a Headquarters clerk....

Certainly, scanning as we speak!

Here it is, seems like it's a lot of poetic talk about God etc. I'm not all that certain this is original to the actual fp envelope though...

Stalingrad 23.12.42 feldpost

It's a prayer...the first line indicates that this prayer was meant for the father who is missing, only known to God where he is...if he is still alive, then may God be close to him...

How does the font and type of paper compare to the ones that are typewritten in your collection?

The letter itself seems to have been written/typed by the family in Germany, and placed in the envelope as a memento of their missing father. The original letter sent from Stalingrad seems to have been lost to time...

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    The letter itself seems to have been written/typed by the family in Germany, and placed in the envelope as a memento of their missing father. The original letter sent from Stalingrad seems to have been lost to time...
    Ah... yes indeed, makes sense... thank you! I just typed out the contents of the letter into google translate and even though it's not the original letter written by the soldier I feel it's quite a poignant and sobering reminder of the absolute misery these men must have been surrounded by at this point, and of the subsequent consequences for those who lost their loved ones in this senseless war.

Rough and quick translation:

"Have a father, where is that we love, we do not know. But you know it. If he is still alive, then show him that you're near him. We can not talk to him, but you can do it, and your word is larger than ours. We can not show him that we love him, but you can do it, and your love is more important than our love. We can not console him, but thou art the God of all comfort, and know him to believe and the melancholia and give him the assurance that he is where he is safe in your hand.
    If you did it but decided otherwise and took him to live out of these, then make us big and strong in the consolation of the Christians hope that those who have fallen asleep in Christ, will live to evigen auferweekt by him, Blessed.
    Help us home, we always live in your presence. Let your countenance shine about us, about our family, about our national, about our community that we will one day in your area all together praise and glorify you for ever and eternity. Amen.
    "
    Last edited by slados28; 06-20-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Anyone able to make out what's written on the front and back of the cover?

?

Front: "Luft-Feldpost" and "Frau .... XXXX Sch....lek"
    back: "Gefreiter Sch....lek 27838"
    Sorry, I can't decipher the rest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast