Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Sylvester Stadler Autograph

Article about: Hello, I was hoping to get your opinions on this autograph. The dealer has a spotty reputation. However, I didn’t think a Stadler autograph would be commonly forged. Any help is greatly ap

Default Sylvester Stadler Autograph

Hello,

I was hoping to get your opinions on this autograph. The dealer has a spotty reputation. However, I didn’t think a Stadler autograph would be commonly forged. Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Sylvester Stadler Autograph
    P
    Many

?

It is a real signature of which may have been signed by Stadler. It looks similar but you cannot make out some of the usual style choices he made since it was signed with a wider tipped pen. If the seller has a spotty reputation then I probably would not give them the money for this at the other end of a ten foot pole. Especially if they only provide one photo or photos with the resolution this one has.
    There is money in signatures of any personality. A Knight’s Cross recipient in the Waffen SS does not fall outside of that realm. SS stuff is always faked and we have seen faked SS signatures before. I do not see many of his signatures for sale currently so he very well could be less forged, but forgeries are just that regardless of the quantity circulating.

?

Agree with the above. The photo is not clear enough to provide a definitive answer. It looks similar to Stadler's signature but that doesn't make it real.
    If the seller has dubious reputation then that should be enough to send you a warning. It's easy to spend money but far harder to get it back so don't part with it in the first place.
    If you want to collect signatures, it's far better to get them on original post cards of photographs and not on what appears to be a poor modern reprint of one.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Also bear in mind when the photo was signed. A lot of photos were signed after the war so signatures change with old age etc so don't always match a wartime example.
    There are a few postwar examples here: You searched for stadler - Wolfgang Historica

?

Compare with this original ,

show your signed photos
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

The photograph is very poorly rendered, but I agree it is not easy to say from this whether the autograph is not a later one. If the dealer has a less than glowing reputation then I would not put money his way by purchasing this example.

In the name of research and a good return policy; I’m in possession of the autograph.
    The rendering is a bummer. I plan on buying the clearer example from Wolfgang (just ordered a Karl Leck signature from him).

Nonetheless, I like the signature a lot more in person. I’m not sure you can see it in the photo, but there is some surface age on the glossy photo (scratching, etc.)

Sylvester Stadler AutographSylvester Stadler Autograph

If by Wolfgang you mean the dealer Wolfgang Historica, no need to worry. I’ve done business with him for years. Most of his signatures are indeed postwar, though he’ll add a wartime example when he comes across one. Never a bad experience.