Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Are these photos genuine or fake?

Article about: Hi all I brought these a few years ago , I’ve only just got around to sorting out my collection, there isn’t much to say about them other than it says “Leomar” imprinted on the back

Default Are these photos genuine or fake?

Hi all I brought these a few years ago , I’ve only just got around to sorting out my collection, there isn’t much to say about them other than it says “Leonar” faintly imprinted on the back of some of them and “Agfa Lupex”? On the back of others.

They do feel glossy like an actual photograph, but the pictures are almost too good quality to be originals, perhaps they are post war reprints? Even if they are, would be interesting if they have a back story.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Are these photos genuine or fake?
    P
    Many

Well, I see a French Artillery Unit deploying on a road and what appears to be French/British Wreckage near the beach...Looks like the 1940 Campaign to me...Sorry I can't help with authenticity of the photo paper...

Hello thanks for the reply, I was thinking that , although looking at the helmets they look more like the Stahlhelm?

They seem to be of a similar caliber to these sorts of photos, although there isnt much detail about them here either.

Attachment 1656486

Set of Wehrmacht infantry soldier private photos. Eastern and western fronts.
    Last edited by Willmore; 06-03-2023 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Adding of photos from link

You're right - I stand corrected - they are indeed German Artillerymen...

?

It looks like four privately taken photograph from someone in a German artillery unit. In the 1940 campaign of France as Glenn already mentioned. The left two photos they are firing 15cm sFH18(?) howitzers while wearing the early war white HBT drillich uniforms.

The Leonar and Agfa-Lupex are both pre-war/wartime photo papers. The Agfa-Lupex is the higher grade and should be the gloss. Photos I have that are printed on this version of Leonar paper are semi-gloss/satin. The Leonar variant imposed within the circle seems to be the gloss version.
    And I would want to see the entirety of each photo reverse. The paper could have been fraudulently produced as Leonar and Agfa-Lupex. Three have yellowed far more than the one example. Checking them with the UV light would be good to confirm alongside with makers stamps and developed obverse.

They appear to be original, although I'm not sure drillich fatigues would be worn in any other situation other than on exercise?

Quote by Witt View Post
    It looks like four privately taken photograph from someone in a German artillery unit. In the 1940 campaign of France as Glenn already mentioned. The left two photos they are firing 15cm sFH18(?) howitzers while wearing the early war white HBT drillich uniforms.

The Leonar and Agfa-Lupex are both pre-war/wartime photo papers. The Agfa-Lupex is the higher grade and should be the gloss. Photos I have that are printed on this version of Leonar paper are semi-gloss/satin. The Leonar variant imposed within the circle seems to be the gloss version.
    And I would want to see the entirety of each photo reverse. The paper could have been fraudulently produced as Leonar and Agfa-Lupex. Three have yellowed far more than the one example. Checking them with the UV light would be good to confirm alongside with makers stamps and developed obverse.
    Thank you for your great insight, perhaps these were staged photographs and taken during the phony war.

One of them has a word scribbled on in pencil which I can’t read either but here is the reverse.

?

The reverses do not show any glaring issues either towards their authenticity. I tried to read the word on the back but cannot determine a couple of the letters. It could be calling the location of the image.

The left two must be some form of artillery exercise since they are in drillich fatigues, and the rifles are teepee stacked. Not staged but also not in a combat situation. The other two appear to show encounters in France during Fall Gelb. The bottom one looks to show a German troop column and part of a horse-drawn artillery piece passing some vehicle wreckage.
    The upper one seems to show piles of abandoned French material. The canon that is front and center caught my attention; Having looked into the possibilities, I believe it is a French Canon de 105 court modèle 1935B. I think so because the spoke wheels have a solid backing to them which was seen on this howitzer model. It had pressed steel rims with 14 spokes and were mounted to the trail legs. ~610 were produced in the late thirties. ~232 were in service when the Germans attacked in May. Some were captured, assigned as the 10.5 cm leFH 325(f), and used for training.