Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Translation of Record of Death

Article about: Gents, Need your assistance again. I am having trouble with the notice of death cards. There are two for the same individual and I can read parts of them. Can you guys give me a hand? Thanks

Default Translation of Record of Death

Gents,
    Need your assistance again. I am having trouble with the notice of death cards. There are two for the same individual and I can read parts of them. Can you guys give me
    a hand? Thanks as always. This guy has an interesting story and I will be able to tell parts of it soon.
    Translation of Record of DeathTranslation of Record of DeathTranslation of Record of DeathTranslation of Record of Death

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Translation of Record of Death
    P
    Many

To help save time and effort, what parts do you need?

I think he was in the 3rd platoon, 6th Company, 16th Infantry Regiment. Also cannot read the cause of death or name on the back. Thanks

Hi there.

He was with 6./Kompanie Infanterie Regiment 16.

Cause of death

Gefallen : I. G. K = Gefallen : Infanterie Geschoß Kopf (Killed in action : Infantry shot to the head)

His place of death is recorded as Hünengrab Assis.

I had a search and found this information -

The "megalithic tomb of Assis" should be located in the area of ​​the Isthmus of Perekop, the northern entrance to the Crimea.
    Here is a quote from the Wikipedia entry on the 22nd Infantry Division:

"On October 17, 1941, the division fought for access to the Crimea in the Isthmus of Perekop. ...
    On October 18, 1941, the battalions of the Infantry Regiment 65 penetrated the enemy position system, while the attack of the Infantry Regiment 47 in barbed wire obstacles and heavy defensive fire collapsed. Only a relief attack by the Infantry Regiment 16 makes it possible to storm the hill, which then became known as the "megalithic tomb of Assis".

*It was this very action that cost him his life.

46. ID (3./Inf. Rgt 72) 04.10.1941 - Einsatzort Assis gesucht = ( Assis auf der Landenge von Perekop) - Einheiten des Heeres - Forum der Wehrmacht

Isthmus of Perekop
    Isthmus of Perekop - Wikipedia

On the back it says - Gef - possible an abbreviation for Gefallen (Killed in action)
    Vater Wilhelm Sch (Schlüter) Oldenburg, Rauhehorst 145
    Last edited by Willmore; 07-17-2021 at 04:18 PM.

Here is some information on I.R16 and the division it was part of (22. Infanterie Division).

16.Infanterie-Regiment - Feldgrau

22.Infanterie-Division - Feldgrau

22. Infanteriedivision

22. Infanterie-Division

Here is a photo of the grave of Schütze Günter Krickmeier from 14./Kompanie who died on 19.10.1941. From the casualty card information it looks like Gerhard is buried in the same cemetery.

Historic.de - Militärgeschichte - Bremen und Umland 1933-1945
    Attached Images Attached Images Translation of Record of Death 

Looks like his name was Gerhardt Schluter

Thanks Gentlemen, this gives me a lot more to go on than I had. As always you are to best source of information. Thanks again!

One last thing.

Here are his details from the Volksbund.

Surname:Schlüter
    Forename:Gerhard
    Date of birth:20.09.1921
    Place of birth:Strohausen
    Date of death/becoming missing:18.10.1941
    Place of death/becoming missing: Hünengrab Assis

Gerhard Schlüter is buried in the military cemetery in Sewastopol - Gontscharnoje.
    Endgrablage: Block 10 Reihe 28 Grab 2231