Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

'Vacation Photos from Hell' - photos snapped by individual soldiers.

Article about: Yes, thats the catchy title they went with. Pics from the photo albums of individual German soldiers. Everyone can leaf thought the pics but text is in German. Private Soldatenbilder: Urlaub

?

Default 'Vacation Photos from Hell' - photos snapped by individual soldiers.

Yes, thats the catchy title they went with.

Pics from the photo albums of individual German soldiers.

Everyone can leaf thought the pics but text is in German.

Private Soldatenbilder: Urlaubsfotos aus der Hölle - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Second pic is of the steamer 'Friedenau.'
    As part of Op Weserübung she left Gotenhafen/Gdynia on the 8. of April with the course set for Oslo.
    April 10. she was torpedoed by the Sub Triton.
    Fridenau, Wigbert and the V1507 was sunk.
    The Friedenau had units from the 'Infanterieregiments 340' (Stab, komplettes I. Bataillon sowie 9. und 13. Kompanie) on board.
    499 perished.
    The pic was taken on the morning of the 10. by a Obergefreiter Richard Knecht on board an unknown vessel.
    Attached Images Attached Images 'Vacation Photos from Hell' - photos snapped by individual soldiers.  'Vacation Photos from Hell' - photos snapped by individual soldiers.  'Vacation Photos from Hell' - photos snapped by individual soldiers.  'Vacation Photos from Hell' - photos snapped by individual soldiers. 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 'Vacation Photos from Hell' - photos snapped by individual soldiers.
    P
    Many

An interesting title, but some interesting photos as well. The one you posted of the statue reminds me of a similar one from Iraq.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

?

Exactly. History repeats itself.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images 'Vacation Photos from Hell' - photos snapped by individual soldiers. 

Some excellent images on that site! Thanks for the link!

I like the funeral shot of the SMS Schleswig-Holstein crew. The ship that fired the first shots of WW2!

SMS Schleswig-Holstein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Attached Images Attached Images 'Vacation Photos from Hell' - photos snapped by individual soldiers. 
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Thanks. Yes, they went at it at the 'Westerplatte.' I remember reading about what the Polish defenders went through. No vacation for them.

Interesting and poignant pic of the 'Wilhelm Gustloff' in Norway as well. That one made me pause...amongst others. The tragic circumstances and fate of that ship is not for the faint of heart.

I find these pics interesting.
    The text to the first pic claims that these are two Russians who fought for Germany.
    Konstantin G. Kromiadi und Sergej Nikititsch Iwanow (r.), was in the Sonderverbands Graukopf.

A unit fighting for the 'Abwehr.'
    Little is know about Iwanow as opposed to the other soldier, as Iwanow was swallowed by the turmoil of war in the latter days of the conflict.

The text to the second pic states as follows:
    Sonderverband: 'Wehrmachtsoffiziere' and 'Russisische Freiwillige' from "Unternehmens Graukopf."
    An 'Abwehr II' unit led by exiled officers of the Zar living in Berlin.
    The unit were dressed in uniforms from the Red Army and went on sabotage missions behind enemy lines.

The rest of the pics are supposedly likewise various 'Graukopf' unit snaps.
    Attached Images Attached Images 'Vacation Photos from Hell' - photos snapped by individual soldiers.  'Vacation Photos from Hell' - photos snapped by individual soldiers.  'Vacation Photos from Hell' - photos snapped by individual soldiers.  'Vacation Photos from Hell' - photos snapped by individual soldiers.  'Vacation Photos from Hell' - photos snapped by individual soldiers. 
    Last edited by Scout; 11-25-2013 at 09:05 PM.