Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Vintage 80s Waffen-SS Brigadefuhrer Heinz Harmel Original Photograph

Article about: A few months ago I was invited to sift through the remains of a very impressive, massive Third Reich collection that a local shop owner had acquired. By the time I got the chance to take a l

Default Vintage 80s Waffen-SS Brigadefuhrer Heinz Harmel Original Photograph

A few months ago I was invited to sift through the remains of a very impressive, massive Third Reich collection that a local shop owner had acquired. By the time I got the chance to take a look only crumbs were left...but I am always amazed at what the "experts" leave behind! While I was disappointed to learn what I had missed (a lot, and for prices I won't even quote!), I was happy to add this piece to my collection.

Tucked away in a bundle of vintage tourist brochures from Germany was this photograph. Upon viewing it I instantly recognized Harmel as I have seen other images of him later in life. Printed on Agfa film paper, the image shows Harmel in conversation with another gentleman sometime around 1984 or 85. Harmel is clearly wearing a series of WW2 era medals on his jacket. In the background appears to another serviceman with a Naval visor on. The backside of the photograph names Harmel (Elder man) as "Gen. Harmer" and correctly notes him as a commander of the 10th Waffen-SS Panzer Division. The person he is in conversation with is listed as the "Bald man."

While this is not an original period photograph it is still an interesting view into the Post-War notoriety men like Harmel possessed. I hope you will enjoy seeing this glimpse into the not-so-distant past and would be very interested in anything that could be shared concerning it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vintage 80s Waffen-SS Brigadefuhrer Heinz Harmel Original Photograph   Vintage 80s Waffen-SS Brigadefuhrer Heinz Harmel Original Photograph  

Vintage 80s Waffen-SS Brigadefuhrer Heinz Harmel Original Photograph   Vintage 80s Waffen-SS Brigadefuhrer Heinz Harmel Original Photograph  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Vintage 80s Waffen-SS Brigadefuhrer Heinz Harmel Original Photograph
    P
    Many

Great photo, thank you for sharing it.

Dr Richard Wray (DDS), would be a doctor of dentistry by the look of it. I have had a search but can't find any information about him. I am thinking that this photo was taken at some kind of veterans event, commemoration, funeral or something along those lines.

Kind regards,

Will.

Thank you for the kind words Will! I also did a quick search for Dr. Wray but came up empty handed also. The clues in the image are interesting and just tantalizing enough to keep it all a mystery. The group is clearly outdoors in a field, cars are parked along a roadway, two gentleman is visors can be noted on both left and right extremes and Harmel is decked out with his decorations. The view is scant but it looks vaguely "European;" perhaps they are walking an old battlefield and retelling tales of past glory? I'd gladly step right back into that photograph...

My pleasure.

I like your theory about visiting an old battlefield and it is a shame the number/licence plate of the car is not clear, maybe we could have gained some clues to where the photo was taken.

I did find this -

A highly respected soldier; in fact, in 1984 Harmel was awarded the Medal for Franco-German Reconciliation by the town of Bayeux in Normandie, around which his SS-Panzer division Frundsberg had fought 40 years previously.

Stabswache de Euros - Fermer le ciel: ϟϟ-Obersturmbannfuhrer der Waffen-SS Harmel

MEDAL STORM IN BAYEUX (Page 5) -

https://ajr.org.uk/wp-content/upload...984_august.pdf

He also appears to have visited other battlefields -

https://marketgarden.com/2010/UK/news/flash11.htm

Will - incredible research, I do think you might have really nailed it here! What an amazing coincidence that Harmel was honored in Bayeux in 1984 and visited the region with 90 other servicemen. The green fields in the background certainly have a Normandie-esque quality to them and there are clearly men wearing military-style visors present at the same location. What are the odds? Harmel and the others are also well-dressed in suits, not giving the impression they are attending a "casual" function. While we cannot say for certain what is actually going on in this photograph I truly feel that the information you have found is connected to the imagery we can see. Amazing work, thank you for sparing a few moments of your day to take a closer look!

Happy VE Day indeed!

I am glad to help and solving mysteries is an interesting aspect of the hobby. I do think that the reconciliation event is a good candidate for what is depicted in the photo given the date, 'look' of the location and the military style visors that are being worn. I have looked for other photos from the event to no avail, but I will keep searching and hopefully we will be able to establish that this is indeed a photo form the reconciliation event.