Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wehrmacht Death Card

Article about: I was going through some things and found a couple of death cards. I'm not a big collector of these, but have a few Please forgive me for my German isn't too good 😊 Josef Spath appea

Default Wehrmacht Death Card

I was going through some things and found a couple of death cards. I'm not a big collector of these, but have a few

Please forgive me for my German isn't too good 😊

Josef Spath appeared to have been awarded the KVK 2nd Class with Swords born 3 October 1903. Appears to have been killed Narvik/ Trindheim Norway 27 Nov 1944.

I only have the gist unfortunately I'm not fluent in German.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wehrmacht Death Card   Wehrmacht Death Card  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wehrmacht Death Card
    P
    Many

Looks like this fellow was killed in a air raid. I'm not certain on a ship or not in the harbor of Narvik?

He was indeed awarded the K.V.K.II. with swords. The part that describes his death translates as 'Who died a heroic death on 27 November 1944 by a hostile air attack at sea (Narvik-Throntheim).' Hard to tell what branch of the forces he was in from the one black and white photograph.

Regards, B.B.

I can only add a little.
    "who was killed by a hostile air attack at sea (Narvik-Throntheim) on Nov. 27, 1944"
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Am 27.11. greifen Flugzeuge des brit. Trägers Implacable vor Mosjöen (nördl. Namsos) ein südgehendes dt. Geleit an und vernichten die norweg. Frachter Rigel (3828 BRT) – von 2721 Mann, darunter 2248 russische Gefangene, werden nur 415 gerettet – und Korsnes (1795 BRT) sowie den ankernden dt. Frachter Spree (2867 BRT). Sicherung des Trägers durch den Leichten Kreuzer Dido und die Zerstörer Myngs, Scourge, Zephyr, Scorpion, Sioux (kanad.) und Algonquin (kanad.). — Am 27.11. versenken brit. Torpedoflugzeuge bei Aalesund den dt. Frachter Fidelitas (5739 BRT) und beschädigen die Jersbek (2800 BRT).

His body was never recovered from the sea so his name is listed at the Kiel-Laboe Memorial.

Thank you gentlemen. I could translate a bit, and I appreciate you putting the rest together for me . I believe he was a Wehrmacht soldier from the while piping on his shoulder boards. 1944 he must have been a replacement troop for Norway was occupied in 1940 if memory serves me correctly

I'd say that the chances are that he was guarding the Russian PoW's on the freighter Rigel when it was sunk by Fleet Air Arm (Royal Navy) aircraft.

Quote by humble collector View Post
    Thank you gentlemen. I could translate a bit, and I appreciate you putting the rest together for me . I believe he was a Wehrmacht soldier from the while piping on his shoulder boards.
    Just to keep the terminology clear: "Wehrmacht" simply means "armed forces", i.e. the army, navy and air force.

The text on the card doesn't help us to identify his branch and unit, as it only tells us he was in a "field unit".

The uniform depicted on the card is an army Waffenrock dress tunic with what appears to be white piping for infantry.
    Notice, though, that the uniform is painted. Clearly, the relatives didn't have a good uniform portrait to use for the death card.

Quote by hucks216 View Post
    I'd say that the chances are that he was guarding the Russian PoW's on the freighter Rigel when it was sunk by Fleet Air Arm (Royal Navy) aircraft.
    A plausible theory Sir

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast