Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Letter : Wondering if they're legit?

Article about: Good afternoon guys! I have a question I hope you can help me with; I have a collector (mentioned in other thread) that has some Nazi/Third Reich items he let me borrow to photograph to dete

Default WW2 Era Letter : Wondering if they're legit?

Good afternoon guys!

I have a question I hope you can help me with; I have a collector (mentioned in other thread) that has some Nazi/Third Reich items he let me borrow to photograph to determine if I wished to purchase them, but as we all know there are a lot of fakes and reproductions out there, so I thought I would seek the knowledge of forum members to try and figure out if these are legit. A letter seems like it wouldn't be worth it for someone to try to make reproductions of, given the relatively low historical value or worth, but...

Based on another thread in the forum here, the paper type/qulity looks the same, but the envelope/markings are different. There are a number of them, all addressed to the same individual with different date ranges, but the color of the envelope/markings are roughly the same as the one pictured. I can grab more photos of the others if anyone is curious.

So...any feedback anyone can offer would be most appreciated.

Dave
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Era Letter : Wondering if they're legit?   WW2 Era Letter : Wondering if they're legit?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW2 Era Letter : Wondering if they're legit?
    P
    Many

Quote by DavidRF43 View Post
    Good afternoon guys!

I have a question I hope you can help me with; I have a collector (mentioned in other thread) that has some Nazi/Third Reich items he let me borrow to photograph to determine if I wished to purchase them, but as we all know there are a lot of fakes and reproductions out there, so I thought I would seek the knowledge of forum members to try and figure out if these are legit. A letter seems like it wouldn't be worth it for someone to try to make reproductions of, given the relatively low historical value or worth, but...

Based on another thread in the forum here, the paper type/qulity looks the same, but the envelope/markings are different. There are a number of them, all addressed to the same individual with different date ranges, but the color of the envelope/markings are roughly the same as the one pictured. I can grab more photos of the others if anyone is curious.

So...any feedback anyone can offer would be most appreciated.

Dave
    Hi Dave.

I have not seen a red Feldpost envelope before, but everything looks ok to me.

The Fp. Nr L 49456 (Feldpost number) relates to -

(1.5.1942-19.10.1942) Fliegerhorst-Kommandantur
    (1.5.1942-19.10.1942) 30/VI,
    (8.9.1943-22.4.1944) 26.4.1944 Fliegerhorst-Kommandantur E 207/VII.

Feldpost numbers: 49000-49999

Kind regards,

Will.

?

Hello,

I really would be surprised if this set was illegitimate. I have also never seen a red Feldpost envelope but the typed information on it looks good. Plain green or blue envelopes with Feldpost penciled on, yes but that was when they were using what they had in an ill-established sector I assume.

I tried to find letters with similar styles between the envelope and letter but not as easy with one being script and the other in cursive. Were any of the envelopes in cursive or any of the letters signed by this H. Rosendahl?
    Again I think these are good but it is always good to check. Sets of documents are sold on fleabay that belonged to multiple, unrelated men. It is even worse to see a news clipping of a fallen man being sold with a death card or studio portrait of “the soldier” even when it has been proven to be a lie. That is something I keep in mind.

The envelope color is actually orange, though it may look red in the light.

I will check the signature of the letters to see if/how they were signed and update...this set of letters (I believe there are 5 total) were all from the same local dealer.

Took some additional photos of the envelopes; I can't make heads or tails of the letters themselves (got Google translate so going to see if that can assist), but the script on all of the envelopes looks the same to me and the field post information on all of them but 1 was identical; You can see the date stamps in the last of the photos are different.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Era Letter : Wondering if they're legit?   WW2 Era Letter : Wondering if they're legit?  

WW2 Era Letter : Wondering if they're legit?  

Hi.

They are all addressed to Frau Emmy Rosendahl of Braunschweig (Brunswick) -
    Braunschweig - Wikipedia

They all look good too.

Kind regards,

Will.