Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Letter Written by German living in the USA to family living in Germany

Article about: This letter was written by a Kurt Albert. He lived in Oak Ridge, New Jersey. He wrote it in New Jersey but gave the letter to a friend who posted it in Italy. There is a stamp on the envelop

Default WW2 Era Letter Written by German living in the USA to family living in Germany

This letter was written by a Kurt Albert. He lived in Oak Ridge, New Jersey. He wrote it in New Jersey but gave the letter to a friend who posted it in Italy. There is a stamp on the envelope that reads "Examined by the High Command of the Wehrmacht". The letter reads:

To Mrs Albine Albert in Langenwetzendorf, Greiz district in Thuringia, Germany
    Sender: Kurt Albert, Oak Ridge Lake, New Jersey, USA

Oak Ridge, April 18, 1940
    Dear mother !
    I am trying to get this letter to you through acquaintances who are going to Italy. We received your dear letter of January 11 and a card from Gretel of January 6. We see from it that you are still quite well and are glad that you are all still healthy and well. With us everything goes on as usual. Jenny starts to crawl around in her own little garden. Erich and Charlie are just up here looking for a nice colored stone for Jenny's garden. We had a very severe winter, just like you guys over there. Max has been transferred to New York and he doesn't like it at all. Lisbeth Wagner told me that Frida Krupfgans has also bought a house. Hilde, Elsa and Eric are looking forward to summer again to visit us. I would like to know who is in the field from my classmates. Greetings to Mr. Hann, Martin Vent and Richard Knoll. It is a pity that the war had to come. I was just ready to come over to you. Now I can do nothing but wait.

In the meantime, Harald will soon be a big boy. I would have liked to see him once. What is dear Gretel doing, she must still be busy sewing or don't you have much to do anymore. If you dear mother or Gretel or even Richard can use anything of my things in the attic, don't think that it belongs to me, but help yourselves with it. I have a lot of stuff here again that I wanted to send you. Don't worry about me, dear mother, even if there is no mail from us for a long time. Because why should we write when the mail is taken away by the English. But this letter, I am quite sure, will end up in your hands

We are glad that you receive something from us from time to time and that you are not completely without news, as was the case between 1915 to 1918. Money can still be transferred, so you don't need to be afraid, dear mother. It will also get better again sometime. Maybe everything will be over sooner than we think. A visitor here from Zwickau wants to try to return via Italy in the summer. A good old man. I have asked him if possible to visit you dear mother and to be able to tell everything better what we are doing. He reminds us all of our good father. He has the same stature. I hope that you are still doing well and I send my best regards to all of you. Your Kurt”.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW2 Era Letter Written by German living in the USA to family living in Germany
    P
    Many

Hi JB.

What an interesting letter, you can feel the desperation that Kurt has to get some information to his family back in Germany.

Thank you for sharing this.

Kind regards,

Will.

I agree, it is an interesting letter and one wonders whether censors from both sides might have been interested in it although it may gave escaped this from the US side when passed over to his friend to post in Italy?

Hi Will,

Agreed 100% Thanks for reading!

Good day,
    JB

Yeah that’s a good question. I guess they were mostly making sure there we no confidential text that needed to be cut out. I’ve seen some letters that had missing sections because they were removed by the censors. This one apparently passed. This one definitely slipped past the US side.