Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Letter Written by German Soldier During the Battle of Narva to his Daughter. (He was Killed in action 2 Months Later).

Article about: This letter was written by an Emil Morik. He was born on May 10th 1912 in Göttingen. During the war he served in the Grenadier Regiment 639 of the 61st Infantry Division. When Emil wrote th

Default WW2 Era Letter Written by German Soldier During the Battle of Narva to his Daughter. (He was Killed in action 2 Months Later).

WW2 Era Letter Written by German Soldier During the Battle of Narva to his Daughter. (He was Killed in action 2 Months Later).
    This letter was written by an Emil Morik. He was born on May 10th 1912 in Göttingen. During the war he served in the Grenadier Regiment 639 of the 61st Infantry Division. When Emil wrote this letter, he was participating in the battle of Narva. The letter reads:

“Feldpost to Miss Ilona Morik in Göttingen, Juden(?) street 30
    Sender: Soldier E. Morik, Feldpost # 57564

East, may 2, 1944

My dear little daughter !
    Thank you very much for your kind letter and the beautiful flowers. I was very happy about the cowslip and it was the first I have seen so far. Mom wrote me that you feel offended, because I do not write you so much.

Now pay attention you silly girl. I must tell you that you are quite lazy. You always write very little, that testifies your last letter, where the last page was still completely empty. I expected from you that I would get much more and much dearer letters from you. You must have enough time, at least more time than Mom.

From January to May you wrote me only 8 letters and that is a bit little. Now you are asking me to write more, but I can't do that. I am not angry with you for that, but you must not be angry with me either. I love you, my little rascal, very much, as much as I have always loved you.

You don't have to be jealous of mommy, because just as I love mommy, I love you. Mommy writes much nicer letters than you do and that is why she gets many letters from me. My thumb is better and I can write well again with my right hand. My darling, be greeted again and kissed from your daddy, who is far away.”

Emil would be killed in action two months later on July 15th 1944. He was 32.
    German Soldiers during the Battle of Narva^

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW2 Era Letter Written by German Soldier During the Battle of Narva to his Daughter. (He was Killed in action 2 Months Later).
    P
    Many

Hi JB.

What a poignant letter. The fact Emils daughter sent him a flower was so touching. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Cowslip-
    Primula veris - Wikipedia

I had a search for a casualty card, but unfortunately I could not find one. I did find an entry on the Volksbund.

Name: Emil Morik
    Date of birth: 10.05.1912
    Place of birth: Göttingen
    Death/missing date: 15.07.1944
    Death/missing place: Sturi
    Service rank: Gefreiter

Emil Morik was not recovered during our re-interment activities. The planned transfer to the collective cemetery in Saldus (Frauenburg) Lettland was, therefore, unfortunately not possible. His name will be recorded in the cemetery's memorial book.

Kind regards,

Will.

Hi Will,

Very interesting info, thank you. I wonder where “Sturi” is as a basic search doesn’t show anything for that location.

No worries.

The German collective cemetery is located Saldus (Frauenburg in German)which is in Latvia.

Saldus – Wikipedia

I think this is the place -

Stūri -
    Stūri Map - Hamlet - Latvia - Mapcarta
    Where is Sturi, Ventspils in Latvia?

Kind regards,

Will.