Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Letter Written by German Soldier. Likely killed in action a few years later.

Article about: This letter was written by a Hans Eckmann. He was serving with the 430th Grenadier Regiment within the 129th Infantry Division. The letter roughly reads: “ 24.9.41 Dear Heart, Sorry I can

Default WW2 Era Letter Written by German Soldier. Likely killed in action a few years later.

WW2 Era Letter Written by German Soldier. Likely killed in action a few years later.
    This letter was written by a Hans Eckmann. He was serving with the 430th Grenadier Regiment within the 129th Infantry Division.

The letter roughly reads:

“ 24.9.41

Dear Heart,

Sorry I can not write much and if you listen to the radio news, you can hear that we have won quite a few battles near Kiev. I am well, and that is the main thing. Hopfenspager was killed in action, but our losses are not too heavy. In a few days from now I will be able to write more. Please do not worry, I’ll be home soon, I have to close now, and sending you greetings.

Your Hans,
    Goodbye “

I came across a person with his name that was killed in action a few years later on April 1st 1944 in Crimea. I’m not 100 percent sure if it’s the same person. If you have any feedback, feel free to let me know.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW2 Era Letter Written by German Soldier. Likely killed in action a few years later.
    P
    Many

Hi JB'

I searched using different name variations, but found no evidence of Hans falling during the war. I did, however find a Hans Eckmann and his wife, Maximiliane (nick/pet name used in the letter envelope?) living in Memmingen in the 1960s. I can't say this is the same Hans though.

I double checked the Feldpost number and it relates to Stab III u. 9.-12. Kompanie Infanterie-Regiment 438 (25.9.1940-15.2.1941), then Stab II u. 5.-8. Kompanie Grenadier-Regiment 438 ((24.8.1943-5.4.1944). So given the unit and time frame the letter was written I think I have found the soldier Hans mentions that was killed in action.

Name: Georg Hopfensperger
    Birth Date: 2 Nov 1908
    Birth Place: Oberergoldsbach Ndb
    Military Unit: 9./Komoanie Infanterie Regiment 438
    Death Date: 20 Sept 1941
    Death Place: Hauptverbandplatz. Lazarett Pü

His cause of death is noted as Verstorben: Granatsplitter Verletzung, link Oberbauch mit zertrümmerung der recht unterleib Rippen und Lerfetszung* der Leber, beide Oberschenkel. Abriß der recht Hand, Verletzung der recht Niere (Deceased: shrapnel injury, left on the abdomen with shattering of the right abdominal ribs and inflammation of the liver, both thighs. Tear of the right hand, injury of the right kidney).

* = I am not 100% sure on this word.

Georg Hopfensberger was not recovered during our re-interment activities. The planned transfer to the collective cemetery in Kyjiw -Sammelfriedhof was, therefore, unfortunately not possible. His name will be recorded in the cemetery's memorial book.

Kind regards,

Will.
    Last edited by Willmore; 12-27-2023 at 08:44 PM.

Hey Will,

Great information! Thank you.

Good day,
    JB

Hey Will,

I know it’s super late. But there was some additional information I forgot to include with the original post. When I purchased the letter, it came with a write up of the letter along with a section that states the writer was killed on April 1st 1944 in Crimea. Seeing as you found no record of his death, I’m unsure exactly where they got the information from or how credible it is. But wanted to include it.

Hi JB.

Thanks for adding this. It is sometimes the case that information about the fallen is missing, but in this instance I would say the original seller is mistaken.

For example, the Feldpost number. You can see it on the stamp at the bottom left of the envelope (17065) and if you check out the link below and enter that number you will see it is not for Grenadier Regiment 430 as is stated on the piece of paper.

Feldpost Number Database | GermanStamps.net

I have searched using Hans, Johann and Johannes, with various spelling of the surname and different date combos, but there are still no matches unfortunately. I will have a look on Ancestry again and see if I missed something.

Kind regards,

Will.

Thank you for the reply, I agree with you. Just wanted to include that just in case. Thank you.

Good day,
    JB