Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Letter Written by German Soldier in Stalingrad.

Article about: This letter was written by what looks to be a Karl Pfeiffer. The fieldpost number on the back of the envelope looks like 29995 E. But on the front, the fieldpost number that’s stamped on s

Default WW2 Era Letter Written by German Soldier in Stalingrad.

This letter was written by what looks to be a Karl Pfeiffer. The fieldpost number on the back of the envelope looks like 29995 E. But on the front, the fieldpost number that’s stamped on says 29495. So I’m guessing his 4 just looks sorta like a 9. Either way, both fieldpost numbers were tied to units that were destroyed in Stalingrad. The unit tied to the 29495 was the infantry regiment 226 within the 79th infantry division. The letter reads:

“East, December 9th 1942

My dears!

I've finally gotten around to writing a few lines to you dear ones, because you must have been waiting again, but I'm doing quite well so far, which I also hope from you dear ones. I would have written to you earlier, but we were a bit prevented, because we've been deployed again for a few days and then you don't always have the opportunity to write, because most of the time you're sitting in a dark bunker and there's no light either. But you can't do anything about it, you just have to get used to the conditions in Russia again. I've got a beard on my face like a submarine man, we can't wash here either, but we hope to be relieved again soon.

Now it's almost Christmas again, that's now the 4th one that I'm not at home. I didn't think that when I was drafted. But you have to be patient, because the sun will probably shine for us...sometime. What did Helga + Anneliese order from the Christkindchen, it won't do much for me either, .... I can't write much to you today.

I wish you all a very Merry Christmas
    Goodbye! Your Karl”

I did a search on the Volksbund and found multiple names of Karl Pfeiffer that were killed in Stalingrad. I can’t confirm any of them to be the same soldier who wrote this letter, but his chances of survival in Stalingrad were slim.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW2 Era Letter Written by German Soldier in Stalingrad.
    P
    Many

These letters are very interesting indeed. Would like to think he survived but doubtful.

Hi JB.

Another great letter, thank you for sharing it with us. I like how he talks about his beard and compares himself to a submariner.

Kind regards,

Will.

Hey Will,

No problem! And yeah I found that interesting as well.

Good day,

JB