Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Letter Written by member of the Schutzpolizei in occupied Warsaw, Poland

Article about: The letter was written by a Erich Holländer who served as a Police Wachtmeister in battalion 72/1 A rough translation of the letter reads: Page 1 : “Warsaw, April 12th 1940 Dear Ms Staab!

Default WW2 Era Letter Written by member of the Schutzpolizei in occupied Warsaw, Poland

WW2 Era Letter Written by member of the Schutzpolizei in occupied Warsaw, Poland
    The letter was written by a Erich Holländer who served as a Police Wachtmeister in battalion 72/1

A rough translation of the letter reads:

Page 1 :

“Warsaw, April 12th 1940

Dear Ms Staab!
    All those nice letters that you sent me and that I haven't answered yet are lying before me in silent accusation, and I have to get the guilt off my shoulders now. I'm sure you thought about it yourself and drew your own conclusions about the motives of my silence. However, I think you especially will understand, for I was thrown off my orderly tracks by extraordinary events. You know that I'm not allowed to say more about it, but the last weeks have been very exhausting for me. Practically every second night I didn't get to sleep at all, and after all I'm just not used to that. I simply didn't have the energy to say thanks for all the mail I received. I got swamped. What's more, I didn't think it right to express my joy and honest gratitude merely in a short postcard. I hope you understand. It feels so good that you're so loyal to me, and it's such a good feeling to know that there is someone somewhere who stands by me.

Page 2 :

Now I have somewhat more freedom, because I'm back at my previous post. I would now like to try to answer your letters one by one, but above all I want to squeeze your hand in spirit as a thank you for your gifts of love which have made my hard days easier. I enjoyed your wonderful cake with measure, as well as the selected fruits, and I rationed the sweets. The Easter gifts were especially beautiful and made with much care by you. It's a pity that I had to spend those days so restlessly and rushed. You are quite correct in assuming that our relocation to Warsaw was a benefit for us. We have much more space there which is much more stimuluting. Mister R(????), who had also written to me - I haven't answered him yet - surely is worse off in that regard, however, nobody knows what the future has in store. The population hasn't yet resigned themselves to the fact that their proud Polish nation is no more. They are hostile to the many Jews. There are no Gipsies. - It makes me happy that Ms Sidro has become your colleague at work and

Page 3 :

that you speak so positively of her, even though I actually don't know her that well myself after the short time of our acquaintance. We shouldn't think too much of it that she had been ridiculed at the RKS [probably Reichskraftsprit] sometimes. You, Ms Staab, have made so many changes in employments that I can't even keep up any more. I only hope that it will be good for you and that your abilities will be recognized rightly and put to use accordingly. You have to accept this compliment, since you yourself have asserted yourself already earlier as a stenotypist, actually contrary to your own wishes. It's surely a nice pastime that you look through the BZ [?] during your lunch break to find uninsured artists. Because of that I'm sure you will get very well versed in the theatre and film business. – It feels like a joke that my mail has reached you in such a confused order. I don't know how it'll go now due to the long interruption. My mother is currently in good spirits, I think she's also stimulated by the latest addition to the family (who everyone is quite happy about). Little Peter, black as a crow, has come to the world cheerful and healthy

Page 4 :

he's a lot of work and great fun. I'm sure my brother is looking forward to meeting him. By the way, he has advanced somewhat on the Western front, but he writes assuringly and is feeling well. - Your Easter cards are very tasteful, that lovely bumblebee picture is now adorning my room. It is so nice of you and thoughtful that you ask me to state a wish. And I will do so now, immodestly, because I really would like to have this: "Dextro" [glucose brand] or something similar. It makes you strong and is very easy on the stomach. I don't know if you can get it easily, however. - I hope that the visit of your Divisional Head from Posen will turn out to be somewhat advantageous for you. - I see that you celebrated Easter solemnly and beautifully. A few peaceful days, or hours even, restore our power for the daily fight. But surely it won't be as nerve fraying for you as it had been at the RKS, I hope. - I haven't been to the cinema here yet, even though they play good German films. Mostly there's just not enough time. A cup of coffee, a short walk, an expensive dinner, and R&R time is already over, if you also want to get a good night's sleep.

Page 5 :

Fingers crossed for your "passe partout", such a passport would be a nice gift. - Ms Maurer is still on your side, I see, she has sometimes been a bit peculiar, but she's probably also a lonely person with unfulfilled desires. Should you meet with her again, give her my regards. - Hearty thanks for the beautiful calendar of your faithful "coal man" [?], it immediately replaced the officially prescribed notebook. Politically we are again in the middle of great events. Our Führer has again surprised the world with a spectacle that will bring us a good deal forward towards victory. The effects of this will likely be seen soon. I have to be quite patient regarding my vacation. As it currently looks I can't expect to get some before the end of May. That's harsh, but being in Warsaw allows me to put up with a lot, in spite of the unrelenting duty, especially since there's now regular leave again. I am content with my lot, don't worry about me. I hope you're not mad at me, I have thought about you a lot and remain, with kind regards, yours,

Erich Holländer”

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW2 Era Letter Written by member of the Schutzpolizei in occupied Warsaw, Poland
    P
    Many

Apologize for any incorrect or missing translations. It’s lengthy but quite an interesting read!

?

A very interesting read, thank you for posting it!

Of course!

Polizei Btl 72 was within Wehrkreis VII, Münich so the address of the letter would seem to confirm that Holländer was Bavarian.
    Last edited by BlackCat1982; 01-22-2023 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Typo