Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWII German letter

Article about: I'll admit, I feel useless on this one. It says Feldpost on it, but I can't find the number, and I can't read cursive German! It's a nice long letter, but I don't know if it's from a soldier

Default WWII German letter

WWII German letterWWII German letterWWII German letterWWII German letterWWII German letterWWII German letter

I'll admit, I feel useless on this one. It says Feldpost on it, but I can't find the number, and I can't read cursive German! It's a nice long letter, but I don't know if it's from a soldier, a civilian, or what. Anyone feel like helping a dunce out? Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WWII German letter
    P
    Many

It is a letter from a soldier in the German Navy to a woman named Gretel. To translate the whole text is too time-consuming for me, sorry. Hope I could help despite.

Addendum: The Womans full Name is Gretel Schiefer from Cologne-Ossendorf, Frohnhofstrasse 37 a.

Quote by NSDAP Sammler View Post
    It is a letter from a soldier in the German Navy to a woman named Gretel. To translate the whole text is too time-consuming for me, sorry. Hope I could help despite.
    German Navy you say... How did you determine that? Sounds very intriguing! Thanks!

Quote by RustyRelics View Post
    German Navy you say... How did you determine that? Sounds very intriguing! Thanks!
    On page 3, paragraph 2, he writes: “I've been in the Navy since October 1, '39 and on July 2, '40 I can go to Brest for minesearching. From there I have been to various port cities and have seen a lot (...)"

?

Hello RustyRelics,

I used a few sleepless hours to translate the letter and envelope for you. (I wrote out all the abbreviations in the letter (such as "u." for "und/and" or "bes." for "bestimmt/definitely") for the sake of readability.)

I hope this helps you and I was able to give you a little joy with it.

Best regards
    Wolf

PS: If possible, next time you post documents, take photos with a higher resolution. Sometimes it was really difficult to read the text.

Deutsch/German

Envelope front (recipient)

Feldpost

Glücksstadt 23.12.41 13 (In the stamp)

Frl. (Fräulein) Gretel Schiefer
    Köln-Ossendorf
    Frohnhofstr. 37a

Back of envelope (sender)

(First word missing) Gefr. (Gefreiter) Herm. (Hermann) Müller
    2. M. L. A. (Marine Lehrabteilung) Glücksstadt/Elbe
    4 Komp. (Kompanie)

Page 1

Glückstadt, den 20.12.41

Meine liebe Gretel!

Die besten Sonntagsgrüsse von hier sendet Dir Hermann.
    Für deinen lieben Brief vom 16. meinen herzlichen Dank. Ich habe mich ja sehr gefreut das Dir das Bild gefallen hat. Liebe Gretel, nun willst Du gerne wissen wie Gross ich bin. Das will ich Dir gerne schreiben.
    Hast Du dich nicht verschätzt?
    Meine Grösse beträgt nur 1,75 m.
    Ich werde dir ein kleines Bildchen beilegen und da kannst Du mich in meiner ganzen "Grösse" sehen.
    Liebe Gretel, ich bin dir bestimmt nicht böse wegen der Fragerei.
    Wenn du was hast so schreibe mir es bitte, ich tue es doch genug,

Page 2

Du bräuchtest dich garnicht an einen dritten zu wenden. Nun muss ich meinen Brief weiter schreiben, denn inzwischen habe ich mich etwas gestärkt beim Mittagessen. Und jetzt muss ich wieder aufhören, denn grade ist ein Brief von Dir angekommen den ich ja zuerst lesen muss.
    Auch für diesen Brief meinen herzlichen Dank und besonders für den Kalender, ich kann ihn bestimmt gut gebrauchen.
    Also weiter liebe Gretel. Die Einladung von Hans werde ich selbstverständlich nicht aber klagen, denn Du glaubst garnicht wie ich mich freue wenn ich nach Köln fahren kann.
    Liebe Gretel, glaubst Du denn wirklich das ich dann für Dich keine Zeit hätte?
    Was soll denn Hans mit mir vor haben?

Page 3

Wir werden uns bestimmt einig werden liebe Gretel.
    So muss ich Dir bald Recht geben wegen dem Stubenhocker. Da kannst Du mal sehen Gretel das man bei der K. N. fasst in allem ausgebildet wird. Aber auf die Dauer haut das ja nicht hin. Wollen das beste hoffen das es bald nach mal anders wird.
    Seit 1. Oktober 39 bin ich bei der Marine und am 2. Juli 40 kam ich nach Brest für Minensuch. Von dort aus bin ich dann in verschiedenen Hafenstädten gewesen und vieles gesehen. Auch in St. Nazaire bin ich öfters gewesen. Fährt dein Bruder auch bei der Minensuch?
    Du kannst mir bestimmt glauben das ich in den 15 Monat die ich in Brest war vieles gesehen und erlebt habe, auch von wegen deutsche Mädels. So etwas kann

Page 4

sich jemand der es nicht gesehen hat garnicht vorstellen. Ich habe bestimmt manchmal mit dem Kopf geschüttelt. Bei mir sind die einfach unten durch.
    Liebe Gretel hast Du denn Angst vor mir? Du kannst mir (bestimmt) ruhig alles schreiben ich werde Dir nichts für übel nehmen.
    Ich hatte doch gedacht Du hättest mir etwas davon geschrieben was Du von mir gedacht hast. Im nächsten Brief werde ich bestimmt etwas davon hören, nicht liebe Gretel?

Nun will ich für heute schliessen denn ich will meinen Eltern auch noch einen Brief schreiben.
    So für heute nochmals recht herzlich gegrüsst von deinem Hermann.

Schreibe bitte, bitte recht bald zurück.

On the side of page 4

Für das Päckchen meinen allerherzlichsten Dank.
    Werde es aber nicht dar aufmachen bis am heiliger Abend.

Gruß Hermann

English

field post

Miss (Miss) Gretel Schiefer
    Cologne-Ossendorf
    Frohnhofstr. 37a

(First word missing) Gefr. (Gefreiter) Herm. (Hermann) Mueller
    2. M.L.A. (Marine Lehrabteilung/Navy Training Department) Glücksstadt/Elbe
    4 comp. (company)

Page 1

Glückstadt, December 20, 1941

My dear Gretel!

Hermann sends you the best Sunday greetings from here.
    Thank you very much for your lovely letter of the 16th. I am very happy that you liked the picture. Dear Gretel, now you would like to know how tall I am. I would like to write that to you.
    Haven't you misjudged yourself?
    My height is only 1.75 m.
    I will enclose a small picture for you and there you can see me in my whole "size".
    Dear Gretel, I'm certainly not angry with you for asking questions.
    If you have something, please write to me, I do it enough,

Page 2

you don't need to go to a third party. Now I have to continue writing my letter, because in the meantime I have strengthened myself a bit at lunch. And now I have to stop again, because a letter has just arrived from you, which I have to read first.
    My heartfelt thanks for this letter, too, and especially for the calendar, I'm sure I can put it to good use.
    So keep going, dear Gretel. Of course, I won't complain about Hans' invitation, because you won't believe how happy I am when I can go to Cologne.
    Dear Gretel, do you really think that I wouldn't have time for you then?
    What should Hans have in mind for me?

Page 3

We will definitely come to an agreement, dear Gretel.
    So I'll soon have to agree with you about the couch potato. (Meaningful translation of the word “Stubenhocker”/Someone who just sits in his room.) As you can see, Gretel, at K.N. you are trained in almost everything. But that doesn't work out in the long run. We hope for the best that things will change soon after.
    Since October 1, 39 I've been in the Navy, and on July 2, 40 I came to Brest for minesweeping. From there I went to various port cities and saw a lot. I've also often been to St. Nazaire. Is your brother also with the minesweepers?
    You can definitely believe me that I saw and experienced a lot in the 15 months I was in Brest, also when it comes to German girls. Something like that

Page 4

cannot be imagined by anyone who hasn't seen it. I must have shook my head at times. For me, they're just out of favor. (The last sentence is a meaningful translation of the phrase "Unten durch sein.")
    Dear Gretel, are you afraid of me? You can (certainly) write me everything, I won't take offense at you.
    I thought you had written me something about what you thought of me. I'm sure I'll hear about it in the next letter, won't I, dear Gretel?

Now I want to close for today because I also want to write a letter to my parents.
    So for today, once again, greetings from your Hermann.

Please, please write back as soon as possible.

On the side of page 4

Thank you very much for the package.
    But I won't open it until Christmas Eve.

Greetings Hermann

Quote by Wolf View Post
    Hello RustyRelics,

I used a few sleepless hours to translate the letter and envelope for you. (I wrote out all the abbreviations in the letter (such as "u." for "und/and" or "bes." for "bestimmt/definitely") for the sake of readability.)

Best regards
    Wolf

PS: If possible, next time you post documents, take photos with a higher resolution. Sometimes it was really difficult to read the text.

Deutsch/German

Feldpost

Köln-Ossendorf
    Frohnhofstr. 37a

4 Komp. (Kompanie)

Page 1

Glückstadt, den 20.12.41

Meine liebe Gretel!

Für deinen lieben Brief vom 16. meinen herzlichen Dank. Ich habe mich ja sehr gefreut das Dir das Bild gefallen hat. Liebe Gretel, nun willst Du gerne wissen wie Gross ich bin. Das will ich Dir gerne schreiben.
    Ich werde dir ein kleines Bildchen beilegen und da kannst Du mich in meiner ganzen "Grösse" sehen.

Page 2

Du bräuchtest dich garnicht an einen dritten zu wenden. Nun muss ich meinen Brief weiter schreiben, denn inzwischen habe ich mich etwas gestärkt beim Mittagessen. Und jetzt muss ich wieder aufhören, denn grade ist ein Brief von Dir angekommen den ich ja zuerst lesen muss.
    Auch für diesen Brief meinen herzlichen Dank und besonders für den Kalender, ich kann ihn bestimmt gut gebrauchen.
    Also weiter liebe Gretel. Die Einladung von Hans werde ich selbstverständlich nicht aber klagen, denn Du glaubst garnicht wie ich mich freue wenn ich nach Köln fahren kann.

Page 3

So muss ich Dir bald Recht geben wegen dem Stubenhocker. Da kannst Du mal sehen Gretel das man bei der K. N. fasst in allem ausgebildet wird. Aber auf die Dauer haut das ja nicht hin. Wollen das beste hoffen das es bald nach mal anders wird.
    Seit 1. Oktober 39 bin ich bei der Marine und am 2. Juli 40 kam ich nach Brest für Minensuch. Von dort aus bin ich dann in verschiedenen Hafenstädten gewesen und vieles gesehen. Auch in St. Nazaire bin ich öfters gewesen. Fährt dein Bruder auch bei der Minensuch?
    Du kannst mir bestimmt glauben das ich in den 15 Monat die ich in Brest war vieles gesehen und erlebt habe, auch von wegen deutsche Mädels. So etwas kann

Page 4

sich jemand der es nicht gesehen hat garnicht vorstellen. Ich habe bestimmt manchmal mit dem Kopf geschüttelt. Bei mir sind die einfach unten durch.
    Liebe Gretel hast Du denn Angst vor mir? Du kannst mir (bestimmt) ruhig alles schreiben ich werde Dir nichts für übel nehmen.
    Ich hatte doch gedacht Du hättest mir etwas davon geschrieben was Du von mir gedacht hast. Im nächsten Brief werde ich bestimmt etwas davon hören, nicht liebe Gretel?

Nun will ich für heute schliessen denn ich will meinen Eltern auch noch einen Brief schreiben.

On the side of page 4

Gruß Hermann

English

field post

Cologne-Ossendorf
    Frohnhofstr. 37a

4 comp. (company)

Page 1

My dear Gretel!

Thank you very much for your lovely letter of the 16th. I am very happy that you liked the picture. Dear Gretel, now you would like to know how tall I am. I would like to write that to you.
    I will enclose a small picture for you and there you can see me in my whole "size".

Page 2

you don't need to go to a third party. Now I have to continue writing my letter, because in the meantime I have strengthened myself a bit at lunch. And now I have to stop again, because a letter has just arrived from you, which I have to read first.
    My heartfelt thanks for this letter, too, and especially for the calendar, I'm sure I can put it to good use.
    So keep going, dear Gretel. Of course, I won't complain about Hans' invitation, because you won't believe how happy I am when I can go to Cologne.

Page 3

So I'll soon have to agree with you about the couch potato. (Meaningful translation of the word “Stubenhocker”/Someone who just sits in his room.) As you can see, Gretel, at K.N. you are trained in almost everything. But that doesn't work out in the long run. We hope for the best that things will change soon after.
    Since October 1, 39 I've been in the Navy, and on July 2, 40 I came to Brest for minesweeping. From there I went to various port cities and saw a lot. I've also often been to St. Nazaire. Is your brother also with the minesweepers?
    You can definitely believe me that I saw and experienced a lot in the 15 months I was in Brest, also when it comes to German girls. Something like that

Page 4

cannot be imagined by anyone who hasn't seen it. I must have shook my head at times. For me, they're just out of favor. (The last sentence is a meaningful translation of the phrase "Unten durch sein.")
    Dear Gretel, are you afraid of me? You can (certainly) write me everything, I won't take offense at you.
    I thought you had written me something about what you thought of me. I'm sure I'll hear about it in the next letter, won't I, dear Gretel?

Now I want to close for today because I also want to write a letter to my parents.

On the side of page 4

Greetings Hermann

That is awesome! Thank you so much! This really makes me happy knowing what it says now, thank you!

Quote by Wolf View Post
    Hello RustyRelics,

Best regards
    Wolf

Deutsch/German

Feldpost

Köln-Ossendorf
    Frohnhofstr. 37a

4 Komp. (Kompanie)

Page 1

Glückstadt, den 20.12.41

Meine liebe Gretel!

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

On the side of page 4

Gruß Hermann

English

field post

Cologne-Ossendorf
    Frohnhofstr. 37a

4 comp. (company)

Page 1

My dear Gretel!

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

On the side of page 4

Greetings Hermann
    Gluckwunsch, Hermann, zu dieser absoluten Fleissarbeit!/Congratulations, Hermann, on this outstanding diligence work!

?

Yes, this Hermann really wrote quite a lot to his Gretel. Let's hope for him that it worked out with her.^^

Best regards
    Wolf

Quote by Wolf View Post
    Yes, this Hermann really wrote quite a lot to his Gretel. Let's hope for him that it worked out with her.^^

Best regards
    Wolf
    Indeed he must have had a lot of Time left over ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast