Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Assistance with Picklehaube identification

Article about: Dear Colleagues, It would be greatly appreciated if I could get comment on this picklehaube in relatively poor condition. Picked it up on a Loyds Sydney auction (AUD\\$250). Imagine it wouldn'

MAP
    ?

I would like to see close up photos of the hole. Both on the exterior and interior.

You can leave it as is but I would try to gently restore it just a bit. First, if not too difficult I would try to get the front brass trim back on the leather. I would also then try to find a pair of Kokarden and finish it off with a nice repo chin strap (finding an original would be too expensive).

But I wouldn't do anything beyond that but you may want to go the last step and find a rear spine in matching condition.

What ever you do, do not clean or polish it

Nice find however. you did well.
    Last edited by MAP; 04-25-2022 at 01:15 PM. Reason: typo
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Assistance with Picklehaube identification
    P
    Many

Quote by Kohima View Post
    Ref yanks nicking all the pickelhaube..
    Just found this and nearly puked..
    Me too!!

I saw that picture on another site some time back. I believe that the background to it was that these 12,000(!!) 'souvenired' pickelhaubes were auctioned off at negligible prices to raise money, once the display had run it's course. After a quick google search I found a related article about it - Pyramid of captured German helmets, New York, 1919 - Rare Historical Photos

Cheers!
    Jim

?

As I understand it, they were shipped back in huge numbers (during the war), and sold for war-bonds.

?

The Helmet originally asked about , is that of a enlisted man from 10. Württembergisches Infanterie-Regt. Nr.180
    (Tübingen, I battalion. Besides missing some parts the helmet plate is damaged.

As to reneblacky's helmet. Without seeing the front, I believe that one is a Guard's Brigade m'15.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2